Finished my Felgiebel project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rweber

Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

after nearly one year of work, I finished my build of the Felgiebel engines. The original intention to start this project was to obtain some knowlegde about 3D construction and printing, building sandcast moulds and finally the aluminium casting process itself. Once I´ve got the knowledge of how to design and print the cast cores (to get them properly removed from the sand), the casting process itself was surprisingly easy. I was really happy how good the first casting result was. And it was getting better from cast to cast. Finally I ended up with 5 quite well casted crank cases, therefore I decided to build three of them, not only one. One „original“, one „original watercooled“ and one, where I put in my own thoughts. The plans were taken from the book „Benzinmotoren für Flugmodelle und ihr Selbstbau“ dated back to 1942 written by A. Felgiebel. Some pics from the build process are available here https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/building-the-felgiebel.27541/

Technical data:
Type: 2-stroke Engine
Bore: 26mm
Stroke: 27mm
Displacement: 14.3cm³

This is the original version, as described detailed in the book

IMG_20181205_153427.jpg

This is the watercooled version, also mentioned in the book

IMG_20181205_153643.jpg

This is "my" version, with longer intake tube and increased compression.

IMG_20181205_153515.jpg

The whole Felgiebel family ;-)

IMG_20181205_154058.jpg

You may also see them running here

regards,
Robert

Back