Finished Elbow engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris,

With a few engines (in fact at least 50%, maybe more), when made from the plans, they do require fine tuning and tweaking.

When I made my elbow a few years ago, I think it was about 1/16th on an inch I had to remove from the end of each piston, it all depends on the final radius of the bend you end up with.

This is where most beginners meet their downfall. They hit a problem with plan dimensions, and because of lack of experience, they don't know where to start looking when trying to solve it.

That is why you should NEVER take plan dimensions as though they were gospel, expect them to be wrong somewhere, and when the engine finally runs, you can give yourself a big pat on the back and a Cheshire cat grin.

John

Thanks John...I am a draftsman by trade and for me details are everything.

I can't help it!

So far I cannot find any of the 3-1/2" pipe anywhere locally so I know the flywheel is going to change right off the bat.

Chris

Chris,

What you mentioned is exactly one of the things I was on about, taking things off plans as gospel.

People will spend large amounts of cash trying to obtain the exact materials mentioned in plans, rather than having a little think about it and then using another way to solve the problem.

This is how I get around my flywheel problems when large diameter bar isn't available.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1809.0

John

Very impressive John! Those flywheels came out awesome!

Chris

Latest posts

Back