Finished Elbow engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnoldb

Reaction score
I finished my elbow engine. The build log is here

normal_IMG_1796.JPG

normal_IMG_1794.JPG

And a short video:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bD_QPQwd7E[/ame]

Regards, Arnold

Congratulations Arnold!

You do some very nice work. I'd like to give this one a try some day.

THAT is a very cool engine. Definitely needs to be filmed in slo-mo to see how it really works. Nice job.

Cracking Job Arnold

:big: :big: :big: :big:

Stew

Great Job Arnold! Those elbows are tough ones!

Dave

Nice job...those engines are really cool.

One day...one day.........

Chris

Arnold, neat looking engine. I have never built that engine but from what I have heard, there is no room for error. Everything has to be perfect for it to run as well as yours does. Takes a lot of skill and patience.

Gordy, Kevin, Mike, Larry, Robert, Stew, Dave, Chris & Arv - Thank you for your generous response :)

For those of you contemplating building it - it's a fun engine to build, but a bit challenging with regard to accuracy like Dave and Arv mentioned. Stew's plans do allow for some minor adjusting which make things easier. Well worth a go - my video does not do it justice; it is an engine that begs to be seen running in person :)

Mike - unfortunately no slow-motion recording on my digital camera, so the challenge is up to someone else :)

Kind regards, Arnold

Here you go Guys a nice animation of an Elbow you should able to work out how it works.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F58EKhapHY&feature=related[/ame]

Stew

Hi Stew

Great job and a fine video.

The video almost works as a step by step guide ;)

Missed this the first time round

I've never seen anything like this.....it is SO TOTALLY COOL!! :bow:

I think the elbow engine must be one of the hardest of all to build. It is a high precision job and you have done it. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Not only that, but it looks a treat. Congratulations

Jim

Hi Stew,

Great job with the animation!

I just built this in SolidWorks from the same plans...I plan on building this engine next (wish me luck)

I noticed that when I modeled the pistons there was a discrepancy with the length of the piston diameter. I think it should be about 1.1 to 1.13 inches long instead of 1.25 inches long. When I bent the piston 90-degrees it seemed to interfere with itself....did you notice the same issue?

Here are a couple of screenshots of what I am talking about...I just want to work out any issues in SolidWorks before I make them cutting metal.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks for checking in Pete.

Oakspring, thanks; they are nice engines, especially to see running for real.

Thanks Jim - it was a bit of a challenge to build, but somehow I'm finding my current build of Elmer's Kimble a bit harder.

Good luck Chris - its a fun build, and from people's reactions one of the most popular engines in my collection.
scratch.gif - where's the pictures you wanted t post?

Kind regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back