Finally putting shop in order

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like you are getting yourself well organised then, but do be careful with tools sitting in wooden holders, and coupled with any damp in your shop and the dreaded rust worm will get hold.
Where my tools are held in wooden holders, I tend to use only an oily wood like teak or cedar. You don't need to make the whole rack out of it, just the bits where the tools come into contact. Just a few small bits I have picked up over the years has kept everything rust free in my shop.

John

We have two shops. One is the semi-conditioned garage (its not directly heated but is attached to the house on 3 sides so it gets some heat) this shop we worry about humidity.

The other where the lathe is located is carefully controlled for humidity. I had planned to have felt liners on tool holders which I'd spray with rust inhibitor like wd40.

I love the dogs pictures. I do not let my dogs in the shop for fear they pick up a chip in their paws.

I have the same damn fear... but must admit, I cant keep him out... physically, if he wants to come in it takes bigger man than me to keep him out. So keeping chips cleaned up is paramount.

Thats what shop vac under the lathe is for... just wonder if it can present a fire hazard with machine oil?

TorontoBuilder,

When I empty my "shop" shop-vacuum, I put some oil absorbent (you could use kitty litter) in the bottom before using it again. This makes it easy to clean as well as cutting down on "loose" oil. I also clean and replace the filter(s) very often. I'm talking about chips with a film of oil and such, I never vacuum solvent and fuel.

I have to add that I do most of my clean up with brushes and brooms and only vacuum what I can't brush and wipe clean. Frequent clean-up also makes it possible to gather and separately contain different materials ready for recycling/selling to the scrap dealer.

--ShopShoe

PS: Animals and bare-footed visitors are not allowed in my shop in any case, and only with special instructions otherwise.

Thx for the tips Shoe,

I brush and sweep but it's those last few fine chips on the floor we worry about.

We have a carpet chip catcher we put down when working, and can move aside when done. Under that also have thick foam interlocked padding on the floor which we hope will provide a lot of deflection if the dog steps or lies on a small chip penetrate him.

Good idea about kitty litter in the vacuum...

Why is it if one lousy chip sticks to my shoe it hangs on until I'm in the bedroom, then drops off right where my wife will step on it. If there is only one chip outside the shop she will find it.
It's probably my wife's sister
I think that she's on a mission of finding one chip when I'm
back from the shop:fan:

Back