Finally putting shop in order

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally have shop mostly set up to where I can easily machine parts.

I spent the last two days with my brother getting lathe in order, after nearly ruining a new QCTP base. Our allegedly newly refurbished lathe had such poor bearings it was impossible to obtain a finish that didn't look like an alligator's skin.

We pulled it apart and put it back together tightening things down properly and now are quite happy with the results. So it's not the lathe itself, its the inferior service of our number one supplier in canada.

Now, does anyone know how to keep a 150 lb needy Neapolitan Massif out from underfoot while working in the shop?

You dont say what type of lathe and photos would be nice
People like photos. Regards barry

Funny thing about pictures is, when I'm working I'm covered in oil and don't want to touch my cameras...My lathe is from busy-bee I'm pretty sure its a model CT041, its the same as the Grizzly model g9249. I've included a pic of the lathe in the store, I'll get a pics on the shop area shortly.

The mill is a CT129N which is the same as the grizzly g0704 except its morse taper not R8 spindle.

I do have pic of a piece I just turned - a test 3 1/5" diameter roller.. Im very pleased with the finish and the fact that there is very little run out so I'll have little trouble making 24" x 6" diameter rollers for larger etching press...

This test is the largest piece I ever got to do myself... usually my brother pushes me out of the way and takes over since he has little patience.

unnamed.jpg

our lathe 2.jpg

Funny thing about pictures is, when I'm working I'm covered in oil and don't want to touch my cameras...My lathe is from busy-bee I'm pretty sure its a model CT041, its the same as the Grizzly model g9249. I've included a pic of the lathe in the store, I'll get a pics on the shop area shortly.

The mill is a CT129N which is the same as the grizzly g0704 except its morse taper not R8 spindle.

I do have pic of a piece I just turned - a test 3 1/5" diameter roller.. Im very pleased with the finish and the fact that there is very little run out so I'll have little trouble making 24" x 6" diameter rollers for larger etching press...

This test is the largest piece I ever got to do myself... usually my brother pushes me out of the way and takes over since he has little patience.

where are the pictures of your mill ???

where are the pictures of your mill ???

I'll take and post some tomorrow, since I have to install a ventilation fan... its such a small space that the smoke from cutting oil gets pretty bad and is too great a health risk for my respiratory system.

Luckily I have a great inline fan from Panasonic, FV-10NLF1 so I will install an inlet near both the lathe and milling machine.

I wanna see the dog too!
We have a 135 lb. Great Dane. A real sweetie.

Glad you got the lathe in order. That is a nice size machine, you we be able to do a lot on that.

Scott

I wanna see the dog too!
We have a 135 lb. Great Dane. A real sweetie.

Glad you got the lathe in order. That is a nice size machine, you we be able to do a lot on that.

Scott

This isnt a pic from the shop obviously... I'll get one of those later, but it has good comparison against my brother napping on the couch next to him.

I had them as guests when Toronto's power went out for about a week and they needed refuge and heat.

photo (17).jpg

I set up my new shop six or seven years ago after a major spending spree on new machines. Unfortunately, I had to make a little bit of room for all my other machinery, with very little space to spare, so tight in fact, my lathe (Chester Crusader) was purchased on overall space available, not what I really wanted (I wanted one a bit larger), so everything in it's place and a place for everything, with a gangway down the middle.
Anyway, for personal reasons, three years ago I nearly sold everything off, but as luck would have it, I didn't. But during the last three years, I have been using my shop as a dumping ground (it was always kept reasonably tidy) and it was like a rubbish dump. After a few days hard work, it is now ready for full use again.
Unfortunately, I have just bought a new small milling machine (Seig super X2) to convert and to learn CNC work on, but unfortunately, there is nowhere to put it in the shop, so it looks like one or two of my small machines has to go, but which one(s)?, as all have a use and purpose.
You can see from these two shots how tight it is in there.

DSCF0560_zps94f492ec.jpg

DSCF0558_zpsbde716a1.jpg

There is a reason for me putting up this post - MAKE SURE you always leave yourself a little more room for expansion, plus, don't buy anything else until you have made sure you've got room for it.

John

started with a bare room with just studs, no drywall...

have provisions for wall racking system behind the drywall, just waiting for warmer weather to be able to use table saw to cut piece for hooks...

photo (20).jpg

photo (21).jpg

photo (22).jpg

photo (23).jpg

Just look at all that lovely bare wall space. I call it vertical benchspace and except for a tiny bit above a door, I doubt if I have anything more than one square foot space available anywhere.
I even hang a lot of bits under shelves, that way you have two surfaces to use rather than just the one.
One advantage of using wall space is that you can position everything to do with say your lathe in an optimum position. Tailstock bits go on the wall behind the tailstock etc etc.
I am now looking at the ceiling for extra storage space for a few bits and pieces.
As you grow over the years, you will find you will start to run out of normal space and you need to come up with solutions now rather than having to solve it later on, as I am having to do.

As for your animal problem, teach him/her to skulk under a bench or behind a machine somewhere. One of my Jack Russells used to live under my lathe for a while, and only really came out when I left my shop. The older one used to lay in his basket behind my small surface grinder, well out of the way of tripping over him.

John

Last edited:
Picture 1 what a big sweetie !
Picture 4 What is the camshaft at the end of the lathe for ?

Looks like the making of a real nice shop. The only thing missing is a bunch of chips.

Scott

Just look at all that lovely bare wall space. I call it vertical benchspace and except for a tiny bit above a door, I doubt if I have anything more than one square foot space available anywhere.

John

Hi John,

The dog is hopeless... he is too old to learn and he's a rescue so he's insecure and feels the need to be near no matter what you are doing. He has a nice huge bed just outside the shop door but likes to sit that 4 extra feet closer. He wont fit under the lathe ;)

I have plans for the walls. I spent a lot of time building extra reinforced backing behind the drywall lag bolted into the concrete foundation walls. To those i'll attach a rack mounting system I saw in American woodworker issues 125 Nov 2006 and 144 Oct/Nov 2009. They have a neat DIY shop organizational system, which is adaptable to all sorts of custom modules made of plywood.

I've attached some pics as examples... now if the weather would just warm up enough to let me take a table saw outside to driveway I can start cutting out my pieces.

2015-03-21_0034.jpg

2015-03-21_0035.png

2015-03-21_0036.jpg

2015-03-21_0038.jpg

Picture 1 what a big sweetie !
Picture 4 What is the camshaft at the end of the lathe for ?

Looks like the making of a real nice shop. The only thing missing is a bunch of chips.

Scott

Its getting chippy now..

The camshaft is for a honda prelude... my brother was using it to test how well the lathe cut

Looking forward to seeing it finished. Storage is the key in a small space.

It looks like you are getting yourself well organised then, but do be careful with tools sitting in wooden holders, and coupled with any damp in your shop and the dreaded rust worm will get hold.
Where my tools are held in wooden holders, I tend to use only an oily wood like teak or cedar. You don't need to make the whole rack out of it, just the bits where the tools come into contact. Just a few small bits I have picked up over the years has kept everything rust free in my shop.

John

I use the idea of cleats on the wall to hang cabinets, but instead of making them flat I make the edge an angle cut, about 45 degrees. The piece screwed to the wall has the acute edge of the angle up and away from the wall. The cabinet or shelf has it the other way- then when the item is hung it looks like a dovetail joint and puling down pulls it tighter to the wall.

The angled cleat is called a French cleat. Works very well and has been in use a long time in cabinet making.

I use the idea of cleats on the wall to hang cabinets, but instead of making them flat I make the edge an angle cut, about 45 degrees. The piece screwed to the wall has the acute edge of the angle up and away from the wall. The cabinet or shelf has it the other way- then when the item is hung it looks like a dovetail joint and puling down pulls it tighter to the wall.

Yes French Cleat is an excellent option

french cleat parts.JPG

Latest posts

Back