Filing on the lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyboy

Reaction score
Working in lathe dept. some time ago, I noticed a young fellow filing a shaft. I had to stop him and show the right way. Hold the file handle in your left hand, and the tip of the file in your right hand. This will keep your left elbow close to your ribs, NOT draped over the chuck. the right elbow will be over the tailstock or the open end of the shaft. Keep your left sleeve away from the spinning chuck.

Davyboy
My brother-in-law was using a file to break the corner on a shaft one night.
He was no newbie! At the time he had at least 12 years experience as a machinist.
The file hopped and his right index finger came in contact with the sharp corner.
The finger was gone. That quick.
They tried to save what was left of it, but ended up having to amputate what remained.

Rick

Also make sure that there is a handle on said file. I worked with an older gentleman that was using a thread file without a handle. It grabbed and went through his hand. Meaning that it was partly sticking out both sides of his hand. Ouch!!!

Be safe, Wes

I always try and either file with the lathe running in reverse and the file on the top, or while runing forward with the file underneath the part. That way there is less chance of getting the file knocked back into you. The above is all good advice as well especially having a handle on the tang

Latest posts

Back