Father's Day

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kustomkb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score

Several years ago I made 4 of these for a co-worker. Last year I received 2 back, just before Father's Day, with the in-lay installed.

He did a great job, I kept one and gave the other to my Dad.

square%20002.jpg

It is a square for laying out lines around a corner.

square%20003.jpg

A couple weeks ago he gave me one of his old wood lathes;

penlight%20014.jpg

A 14 inch wood/metal bandsaw followed him over too;

square%20001.jpg

So I grabbed a chunk of the brown stuff and drilled a hole to fit a mandrel that was made to suit.

Then gave'r with the chisel's and it went like this;

penlight%20005.jpg

penlight%20006.jpg

penlight%20007.jpg

penlight%20013.jpg

I'll give it to him next Sunday when we head over for dinner.

The pen light guts were pressed out of a cheap LED light, and the wood came from a branch which was hanging dead in my neighbour's tree until last week. I originally cursed it for falling into our yard but reducing it to sawdust has bee fun. ;D

Happy Father's Day!

Father's day... There's a Father's day? I have to call my daughter!

Nice things you guys are trading back and forth!

Thanks Dean.

Here are some pics of my Dad's work;

normal_Shoe-ing%20Off%20-%20Marco%20Berera%20-%2010in%20x%208in%20-%20Stain%20and%20Lacquer.JPG

normal_03-BreakingForth.jpg

normal_08-Saturn.jpg

normal_07-Picture003.jpg

Happy Father's Day!

A Happy Father's Day to all the Fathers, Grandfathers and even old old farts (like me).

Kevin: I am sadly lacking in artistic talents or appreciation so in looking at the first picture, I see three pairs of women's high heeled shoes. Am I out to lunch?

Kevin

Judging by the pictures that you posted your father has some very serious woodworking skills, especially with the lathe. You will have your work cut out to match his quality but with patience and practice I am sure that you can do it. Please pass on the congratulations to him for this work and also Happy Fathers day to you both. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Kevin.
Now I see where you have your genes from ;D
Happy Fathers day to you and your dad.
CS

Thanks fellows!

Stan, don't go out for lunch, those are high heeled shoes, turned from a single piece, minus the base. That picture doesn't really do it justice. That piece sold to an "artsy fartsy" woman who just had to have it. The second pic has a face in the cross section. He did a similar one of Abe Lincoln.

Thanks Don, I wish I had spent more time with him, in the shop, as a youth.

Thanks CS.

I gave him the pen light last night (I re-did the brown part because it shrank and cracked).

He said; "where did you find this"

I said I made it,

"Where did you get the kit"

"what kit"

"really?!"

He then proudly displayed it to everyone in the room, I was proud too.

Here is this years gift idea. It is a scriber block which was featured in the latest Home Shop Machinist magazine.

The scriber points are offset in such a way that when the block is rotated, the point will be above the surface plate at common fractional increments.

Scriber%2520Block%2520002.jpg

I think it will come in handy for his wood working. And of course I made a pair for myself.

Happy Fathers Day!

Yeah that was in a write up from Chuck St Louis.....a pen name......wonder who that is....... ::).....it's someone on this board,,,, and it's NOT me! ;D

Dave

Oh yeah?, well please step forward and take a bow.

I think it's one of those great, "now why didn't I think of that?" ideas.

I'll have to go back to the mag and see if I can recognize the shop/tools/hands.

To all the Dad's out there....Happy Father's Day!

:bow:

Dave

Latest posts

Back