Fathers Day

Help Support HMEM:

Foozer

HMEM Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So Pop passed some four years ago but still can hear 'Where's my tools!'
Hey Pop, found it and made a new box for it [how hard can making a box be?]
She may be old, I can remember it for as long as I can remember and she still reads
1.00 from the gauge block.
So Pop, I may not know always where it is, but rest assured I'll never lose it . . .
Robert
mic box-crop.jpg

johnmcc69

Reaction score
My Dad passed 3 years ago. Still have all his old tools, still in place in the toolbox & pegboards. Still rummage through them occasionally, brings back really nice memories...

Nice work on the box!

John

gmaf

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few of my Dad's tools but I think he might be impressed with the tools and the shop I have. I wish he were here to see it. Maybe it would be kind of a role reversal, with me telling him to put tools back where he found them! :)

Reaction score
I inherited my dad’s Atlas lathe. I took it apart, cleaned it, replaced the Timken bearings, replaced the beat up 3” chuck with a 5” and added a quick change tool post. I know he would have appreciated the upgrades. A few days ago my older brother was over and noticed the old sewing machine drawers beneath the lathe. “Hey those were dads, I recognize them.” Yep, I still have all four, one for steel, brass, aluminum and stainless. Over 50 years ago he threw the first scraps in those drawers and I still use them today, the drawers and the scraps. I still use his machinest chest and his lathes tools too. The tools have been ground shorter but they still cut as they did when he first taught me basic lathe turning. I guess I learned quite a bit sitting along side, on that metal stool with the chipped green paint, while he threw levers and turned hand wheels. So, special thanks to all those fathers who passed on more than just stuff in drawers.

Soundguy

Reaction score
I remember my first "specialty" tool introduction as a child by my Dad. It was this amazing saw that would cut metals, the hack saw. There were countless other introductions. Now I have and use my Dad's tools regularly. Miss you Dad.
Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads. Spend some time with your kids. They will not forget the little things.

davidyat

HMEM Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You can see my Dad in the picture to the left. I'm so grateful for Him teaching me how to use my hands and learning how to operate in a shop. Thanks Dad.
Grasshopper

vederstein

Must do dumb things....
Reaction score
My father and my father-in-law passed last November within 10 days of each other. So the end of 2019 was pretty shitty. I did inherit a bunch of tools though.....

One of my father's beliefs: Pound enough nails and eventually he'll figure it out.

...Ved.

RonW

Reaction score
I was looking for a particular tool yesterday when I came across a particularly embarassing moment in my "father/ son tool history". It's the remains of his handmade grinding wheel diamond dresser. I say remains because I, looking for a centre punch at age about 10, used his dresser as said punch and destroyed the tool by regrinding the tool until the diamond fell off into the dust. I well remember the lecture that followed. He's long gone to his reward but he and Skipper Jackman taught me all I know about respecting tools. RIP.
Happy Father's Day
RonW

Latest posts