Extrusion Press

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaguarB

Reaction score
I have started a 2 year project to make a 1:12 working model of an extrusion press check my web site http://www.boscott.co.uk/ At the moment I am doing the drawings warmer in the house than the workshop
frontview.jpg

Hi Paul

Sounds like an interesting project, in my other life I use to do a fair bit of extrusions work, that press looks like it pulls a fair tonnage does it have a transfer rail to feed the slugs, with multi tool stations.

Cheers

Stew

This should be an interesting thread, and I admire your ambition! Quite an undertaking.

I worked in the draw & extrusion die department at Cerro / Titan Metals for a while as a diemaker, and later moved into the forging die department. At the time they had extrusion presses from 750 ton to 5500 ton capacity.

Kevin

I worked for a time for a factory which used extrusion machines to form Venetian blind slats! The material to start with was a mixture of plastic and wood sawdust. The extrusion heads had twin tapered screws within them, driven by variable-speed motors through heavy geartrains. To keep the product adequately straight, it had to be quickly cooled while carefully guided as it fed from the head, within transparent plastic-encased troughs with cold water squirting everywhere.

The actual process combined with the absolute need for 24/7 production amounted to a good dose of madness! jack

I just went to your website, and read the news clipping.

I give you tremendous credit sir, for this ambitious project, and all the great planning that your doing in preparation for this build.

Tremendous credit to you sir... th_wav

I have been re drawing my 1:1 master drawing to 1/12 and modifing it to use standard o-rings and tubes

Wow, those parts look extremely clean and precise machined...

I will follow your work :)

Stefan

Model finish

How accurately should a model reflect the finish of the original?

The quandary that I have is that the finish on the actual extrusion press that I am making as a 1/12 scale model is in some places where it did not matter is to say the least is rough some of the parts have been flame cut and the rough edges smoothed of with an angle grinder though the mating faces were surface ground. see http://www.boscott.co.uk/photos.html I have heard the fitters at the time refer to this as Russian tank manufacture (a reference to the system where the finish is only controlled by the actual engineering requirement to minimise workshop hours)

My question to you as model engineers is should I reproduce the machine as it actually was or should I improve the look of the finish to a better standard?

Paul

Paul,

I have a few views on model finishes, and they maybe don't coincide with yours.

Because of the reduction in scale, it would be very difficult to produce the exact flame cut patterns of heavy engineering, so I personally would reproduce the model to look like a 'perfect' version, otherwise you could have it ending up looking like a ragbag model, where it looks like you couldn't be bothered to finish it. I think it is called artistic license.

Of course, if it was going for display as an exact copy, and lots of pictures of the original were shown, featuring the very rough finishes, then I don't know how I personally would cope with it, as I have never had to do that. A very difficult decision on your part, and I think, only you can make it.

Now if things were a cast finish, I would try to replicate some sort of roughness on it, just to simulate the surface, say grit blasting the areas that weren't machined on the original. But very fine coats of paint need to be used as the effect would soon be lost.

Just a few of my thoughts, and things are looking great up to now.

Bogs

The press drawings are now about 90% complete. 12-09-10 Getting on with the project made a bit every couple on nights over the last few weeks
buttshear2.jpg

Butt Shear Parts
buttshear3.jpg

Butt Shear Assembly
buttshear4.jpg

Butt Shear Top
buttshear5.jpg

The studs nuts and bolts are 12BA

Check my website http://www.boscott.co.uk look as the last photo of the actual press

Paul Boscott

To make this model casting I have machined the shape from solid then masking the areas to remain machined grit blasted the rest to try to simulate a cast finish comments please

Paul

shearbkt.jpg

Looks cast to me..... :)

What an interesting subject!

Dave

01-01-11 Made the container cylinder ends and prepared ready for painting the one on the left was grit blasted using 190 grit the one on the right using 80 grit I will see which paints up the better
containerends.jpg

JaguarB said:
To make this model casting I have machined the shape from solid then masking the areas to remain machined grit blasted the rest to try to simulate a cast finish comments please

Paul

shearbkt.jpg

It looks realistic. The radius along with the sand blasted surface does make it look more like it came from a sand casting.

Back