Experimenting with Alibre

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskimobob

Reaction score
Well I was convinced by the guys here that took the plunge and bought Alibre (can't post in that thread at the moment because of the database improvements ;)) so I decided to dive in too. I've not tried any 3D cad before so I have a steep learning curve ahead of me.

I thought I'd have a go at entering the parts in the Stirling Engine that I am working on. Strangely I started with probably one of the most complicated parts but I have learned a lot by doing so...

Here it is:
stirlingcooler.jpg

I've since added in a couple of easier parts and now mated them together to start the main assembly which I will post when I have it finished...

This software is very impressive 8)

Bob: congratulation you designed Swiss Cheese. ;D
Interesting concept though unusual way to make increased surface area for cooling.
Glad you are enjoying alibre looks like good progress.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Bob: congratulation you designed Swiss Cheese. ;D

:big: - yes, there are 102 of the 4.1mm holes - you can imagine how many times I had to use the centre finder wiggler to get the crossing points on my marking out th_wtf1

Tin Falcon said:
Interesting concept though unusual way to make increased surface area for cooling.

I think that might be because the plans are supposed to make it possible to machine this on the minimal of equipment - e.g. these were supposed to be drilled on a drill press but I drilled on the mill instead (unfortunately I don't have DRO on it yet though).

After about 90 holes, I was getting too confident and snapped a centre drill :wall:
It took me an hour or two to carefully drill around it and get the bit out before I could carry on :-[

Thought I would post a couple of alibre assembly pics of this:

alibre-gamma-stirling-iso.jpg

alibre-gamma-stirling_top.jpg

The model itself is coming along - I shall have to upload some photos soon :)

Don't mean to hijack your thread.

Since I am laid up again I have been on the laptop and continuing my 'training'. Here's a picture of the block so far of the Seal engine (I am building two at the moment) and perhaps the best session to date....I must admit I am really pleased with the software and glad took the plunge when it was on offer.

sealblock.jpg

seal block.jpg

Metal Mickey said:
Don't mean to hijack your thread.

Since I am laid up again I have been on the laptop and continuing my 'training'. Here's a picture of the block so far of the Seal engine (I am building two at the moment) and perhaps the best session to date....I must admit I am really pleased with the software and glad took the plunge when it was on offer.

Nice drawing... I'm impressed!

Chuck

Latest posts

Back