Experimental Flash Steam and others

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard,

Can you measure the parts of your existing cross-slide assembly to determine what is what?

When I made a tapered gib assembly from scratch, I modeled it it CAD. I can't remember whether you do CAD? (This was not for your lathe, however.)

To manually machine the parts, you can put one part in the mill so it will cut the desired taper, then use that part to set up the mating part for cutting. Obviously, there are some mental gymnastics to keep track of up and down and front and back and in and out. And you need to make a little big to allow for finishing that takes off more metal.

Another thing I had done was make the gib "longer" than required, then trim the ends to get the final-fit size.

I don't know if this will help, but good luck.

--Shopshoe
I've got several CADs including my son. I use Alibre now, I really like it, but if I need great power, I use AutoCAD Architectural 3D which works with mechanical just fine.

I am wondering if you thimpfk that the gib needs to be longer than the one I have inthe cross slide on the machine now? I'm thimpfking it won't work as the gib is only necessary to fit across the saddle. If it is extended, then it would just be out flapping in the wind. The new cross slide will only be a couple inches longer and should not really affect the wobblyness of any cutting tools.

Richard,

You just raised an interesting point. I think you can get by with the normal-length gib, at least to start. I am pretty sure you could make a longer one later if you wanted one.

I'll be interested in further news on this project as it develops.

--ShopShoe

I'm trying to design a quick milling attachment that fits on the tool post. Necessarily it must be small. I have a prototype design. I would appreciate if any one can critique it and improve it. I have many mistakes.

the part that fits on the tool post, a BXA post with the six holes, the holes are made to screw into the side of the slide body. You will notice all the holes in the slide body, is so it is adjustable by dismantling it and reassemblibng it in a different position. Crude but simple. It's made to fit on either side. The screw is split in half as far as the threads go--half RH, hlaf LH, as you know it must be for work as a clamp.

Attachments

• tool post vice 01.png
    tool post vice 01.png
    216.2 KB · Views: 0
  • tool post vice 02.png
    tool post vice 02.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 3
  • tool post vice 03.png
    tool post vice 03.png
    56 KB · Views: 2
I wonder if a lot of stress is concentrated on the screws that hold the vice to the toolpost attachment (dovetail) piece. I wonder if that would be a point of failure. I also wonder if there would be some flexing and more chatter in use.

I myself would be more inclined to remove the QCTP and use the toolpost mounting bolt to secure such an attachment (lacking crossslide dovetails as I believe you said earlier)

I believe the late Chuck Fellows modified a lathe where he removed the compound slide and used a large toolpost without the compound for a lot of tasks, but made a toolpost mounting adapter which included it's own compound slide. I didn't spend time looking to see if Chuck's old post is archived, but maybe someone can find it.

With respect to your inventiveness and no ill intended,

--ShopShoe

I wonder if a lot of stress is concentrated on the screws that hold the vice to the toolpost attachment (dovetail) piece. I wonder if that would be a point of failure. I also wonder if there would be some flexing and more chatter in use.

I myself would be more inclined to remove the QCTP and use the toolpost mounting bolt to secure such an attachment (lacking crossslide dovetails as I believe you said earlier)

I believe the late Chuck Fellows modified a lathe where he removed the compound slide and used a large toolpost without the compound for a lot of tasks, but made a toolpost mounting adapter which included it's own compound slide. I didn't spend time looking to see if Chuck's old post is archived, but maybe someone can find it.

With respect to your inventiveness and no ill intended,

--ShopShoe
That's why I put 3 bolts or screws in the spot. I thot the same. I was thimpfking of doing this because sometimes I just want a few quick little items milled and don't want to go thru the trouble of taking off the compound. This probably won't ever get built. Frankly I don't like the way it's geometry is. If I could do a better version, it might get built. I thimpfk it is clumsy and poorly concieved. However, I have not given up yet. I'm thimpfking something much smaller would be good.

Anybody in Washington State interested in an Auction in Everett? here it is:

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/au...0184/lot-6d1c6d23-45e8-428e-a8d4-af43014bee46
There's some good stuff here and auctions in our area are quite rare. Shipping is usually what stops me from bidding in other areas but I can drive to Everett even tho' it is about 250 miles for me.

Some of the tooling--mostly mill ends-- are too many for me. I'm wondering if anyone is interested in splitting the costs for anything? There is a whole shoot-load of Kurts. I think this aerospace company is getting rid of it's old tooling and getting CNCs. Good time to pick up something if you can afford it.

Oh, sorry, I put in a link address that was for right angle blocks but you can find the general address by cliking a link somewhere in the page.

Oooh. I want to do a museum of flight roadtrip and tool sidequest. If the weather wasn't so slushy over the pass.
Another soviэt experience for another day I guess.

Oooh. I want to do a museum of flight roadtrip and tool sidequest. If the weather wasn't so slushy over the pass.
Another soviэt experience for another day I guess.
Yesd, I suppose the 4th of July is scary enough to slide over the side. We had rain freeze on the ground yesterday so VERY slick. Where in Montana?

Yesd, I suppose the 4th of July is scary enough to slide over the side. We had rain freeze on the ground yesterday so VERY slick. Where in Montana?
I live in a terrible, frightening place. It is like Iceland and very UNLIKE Greenland. It snows a lot -grizzlies everywhere. Folks from out of state take note!

I live in a terrible, frightening place. It is like Iceland and very UNLIKE Greenland. It snows a lot -grizzlies everywhere. Folks from out of state take note!
Rotflmho

Hmmmmmmmmmm - - - and you're not even 'north' yet!!!!!!!!!!! (LOL some more)

(Wondering how many of those grizzlies are bipedal?)

Oddly, only the occasional hunting boot. Maybe those with tennis shoes run the fastest in a group. They always say, "Never hike alone".
20 years ago (before I was born) a co-worker moved to Alaska. An unusually large Kodiak was killed by game wardens, what reason I do not know. The bear had a head 3' across and from hind foot to shoulder was twelve feet. they cut the bear open to see what it was eating. Two tennis shoes and some bones. True story.

Reactions: Zeb
I've had several run ins with bears and have a friend that survived a mauling from a griz.

One of the times, I did run into a cub while jogging. I had imagery of being eaten by the mother, but nowhere in sight. Maybe sneakers are the recipe for disaster...but not that day. :p

Speaking of which, I gonna get a tree permit, go to the woods and cut me a Christmas tree. I won't wear adidas today, so I should be good.

Back