Experimental Flash Steam and others

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere that during WWI someone had tried to use steam powered cannons. Apparently they worked very well but something went wrong. It might have been that it rusted the barrels but I'm not sure what happened. Of course, the cannons needed one heck of a steam generator which would not have been mobile. On ships they might have worked well because their mobility would have been on the ship itself, and thus not really a necessity to be mobile. Has anyone else ever heard of this? I'm very curious as steam pressure can move mountains.
Hi Richard, just re-reading this (It's all repeats on the TV so I thought I'd enjoy a few of these repeats!).
I hadn't realised how true your words are about steam moving mountains, until I remembered Mount St. Helens in Washington (State), Eckyafettle (can't spell it, or pronounce it!) in Iceland and other volcanoes. The steam is created by glaciers, ice-caps or lakes collapsing into a large lake of molten magma, or a mountain of very hot rock, and flashing to steam.... the ensuing steam pressure blowing the top half of mountains many miles! - Literally Steam does move mountains!
Maybe Volcanoes are the ulyimate demonstration that not all "flash steamers" are safe?
Makes one think that the "old faithful" geyser in Jellystone park is the boiler safety valve venting a bit of heat?
Cheers!
K2

I'll need to spend time with Jeremy Fielding - fell asleep at the first attempt! I wasn't sure what you were talking of with "tread-mill" motors, then realised you were talking of motors salvaged from scrap exercise machines. Not realising these were cheap and readily available, I bought a 200W motor with controller from an exercise machine shop for 1/4 of the price of a 200W motor on E$@y. They claimed they had bought 200 motors and controllers when they started the shop selling exercise machines, but had never supplied a replacement motor or controller in 5 years so the accountants told them to liquidise the stock of spares quickly - hence VERY cheap.
I just don't have a project for it as I used a smaller brush motor and V-Speed controller (£3) to re-motor my Unimat SL... (Cost £5 for the nice plastic box to fit all the switches, knobs and pretty lights in!).
But maybe one day I'll find a use for it?
The real problem motor I have is an undersized motor for a compressor. Originally it had a 3HP motor, pressure switches and contactor, but I haven't got anything near that big - or torquey! The scrap copper value means the scrapyards don't have motors either.
No worries, I have a little compressor for most of my needs.
K2

Richard, You mentioned a Westbury Vee-four steam engine with rotary valve.. I agree- it looks like a worthwhile project for a fast powerful steamer! - Not found anything on browsing the Weally Whinsome Web of deceit and disinformation.
I have a SUN engine by Stuart the Turner.. That will run (reputedly) on steam at 2000rpm, but I have never found a NWP for the engine... Wonder if anyone knows? I'm guessing 80psi?
I am aware that the larger Sirius engine was sent to France as a small generator for charging radio batteries in WW2 ... supposedly with a boiler that only had a NWP with 30psi (like a domestic pressure cooker, that could double as a container for all the gubbins and look like a pressure cooker sitting on a kitchen shelf. You could even use it to cook your spuds!) - but I have never ratified that pressure.
I once saw (at a show) a 3 cylinder single acting steam engine with overhead rotary valve - running on air at a few thousand rpm. Very smooth, and the owner said it would run all day without wearing out! - I wonder? - it was humming!
Just found a curious single compound engine... much like the British Navy's shortened steam engines with the con-rod inside a sleeve piston.
http://www.packratworkshop.com/pdf/single_cylinder_compound.pdf
Could this principle be used with different valve timing and porting to make a 2-stroke infernal combustion engine? - Maybe with glow plug ignition? Using the H.P. cylinder as an intake and pump to charge the "L.P." cylinder for firing the mixture? - Now that may be something interesting to design perhaps?
Where's that pencil sharpener?...
K2

Hi Richard, just re-reading this (It's all repeats on the TV so I thought I'd enjoy a few of these repeats!).
I hadn't realised how true your words are about steam moving mountains, until I remembered Mount St. Helens in Washington (State), Eckyafettle (can't spell it, or pronounce it!) in Iceland and other volcanoes. The steam is created by glaciers, ice-caps or lakes collapsing into a large lake of molten magma, or a mountain of very hot rock, and flashing to steam.... the ensuing steam pressure blowing the top half of mountains many miles! - Literally Steam does move mountains!
Maybe Volcanoes are the ulyimate demonstration that not all "flash steamers" are safe?
Makes one think that the "old faithful" geyser in Jellystone park is the boiler safety valve venting a bit of heat?
Cheers!
K2
When I was a kid (last week) I lived 22 miles on the winding road to Mt. ST. Helens. Went to school at Toutle Lake High School. Didn't ever suspect it would blow. One of the things that is being kept secret is Geo Thermal power. Geo Thermal power plants are failing in California, I bought their stock, now worthless. The reason is $$$$$$$$$$. The nukes are very costly to make therefore, those are the ones industry want to make! Washington State was a center the puppet masters wished to milk blue in the 70s and 80s while the people of the state did not want it. (Here's a question with great validity: Why would a state that has the most hydro-power in N. America want those nukes? or need them? -- The people of the state didn't want them nor need them!) Nukes cost on the area of 100 billion $ in todays $$ but a Geo plant cost something on the order of 50-100 MILLION in today's $$. The Geo is easy to build: drill a hole till you reach 3-400deg. Put a pipe in to keep the place stable, feed water into the hole, reap the power from the steam. Very simple, not the least bit danagerous! The very cheap cost is the very reason there is a campaign to silence GeoThermal power. I notice the puppet masters keep carefully testing the waters to see if it is feasible to start new nukes. I'm sure they are doing what they can to sabotage Geo and the power grid in order to start new nukes. BTW, a nuke that costs 100B$, in reality would only cost3-5B$ if it weren't for cost "over-runs", out right cheating and theiving. You see, they use this bidding method called "cost plus" which translates into the contractor gets the "cost" of the building PLUS 15% guaranteed! So, it's simple, they drive up the cost by paying the highest price they can for supplies and labor, they have work slow-downs to drag out the time, thus labor costs. Frankly, the system is rotten. Do away with the cost-plus system and you'll lower the cost to 10% of what it is now.

Funny - You make sense. So maybe that is why you are not a politician? - Wish you were - I would vote you President! But there are a few draw-backs, I'm not an American, you are not old and senile, nor crazy, and you would not support he policies that encourage the "thieves" of industry to exploit Government (I. E. law-abiding tax payers') money.
Cheers!
K2

Funny - You make sense. So maybe that is why you are not a politician? - Wish you were - I would vote you President! But there are a few draw-backs, I'm not an American, you are not old and senile, nor crazy, and you would not support he policies that encourage the "thieves" of industry to exploit Government (I. E. law-abiding tax payers') money.
Cheers!
K2
Did you know that Kennedy was already printing US notes? That is, US dollars on paper? You understand that the fiat money we have now is not US notes--it is Federal Reserve notes, a private bank made to sound official!! That is why Kennedy was killed, he threatened to take back the USA's constitutional requirement to be the offficial money printer which would knock the Fed on it's arse! We're talking about trillions of $$ here--for that kind of $$, who couldn't afford to hire the thugs to commit a coup-de-estat?
Read this book: Kill Zone. It will tell you EXACTLY who paid for the coup, who coordinated it and who pulled the many triggers. Frankly, I'm surprized to see the author of this book has not ended up in a ditch.

And thanx for the compliments, however, I would never have a chance to be a politician, I would die mysteriously of suicide with foru or five shots in the back of the head and a bundle of stabwounds and/or deadly poisons and mysterious cancer caused by bacteria from S.E. Asia. That is the type of cancer that Jack Ruby, Martha Mitchell (wife of John), and many other sensitive persons died from. Curious, no?

I thought that since the 18th century, old politicians die of dementure, young ones die from lead poisoning (from guns). In the UK and parts of Europe, the politicians are all young - as they are too naive to know the risks. But in the USA, Presidents are so old they have already enjoyed their best years, so if they die or are arse-ass-kinated they are not a loss.
K2

I thought that since the 18th century, old politicians die of dementure, young ones die from lead poisoning (from guns). In the UK and parts of Europe, the politicians are all young - as they are too naive to know the risks. But in the USA, Presidents are so old they have already enjoyed their best years, so if they die or are arse-ass-kinated they are not a loss.
K2
Yes, Lead Poinsoning, the exact term I use. But this is "self-inflicted", obviously suicide from the back! Did you know the single most dangerous person alive is in your country? Baron . . . . Is it a wonder that the EU does not have an elected prime minister/president or what ever it is called? It's because the international banksters want complete control for THEIR one world government. Even Revelations has a mention of these devils.

Hey Guys,
Anybody know anything about making the pins for any of the "D1" series chucks? I am going to make my own plates for a D1-5 for an ER chuck, or maybe two. But the only difficulty I foresee is the pins. It isn't that I can't make them on a lathe, challenging but I can. The thing I doesn't know is that the pins look like a special metal that has been hardened and ground. I can forego the grinding but the hardening might present a problem. I'm not even sure it would be necessary to harden them.

Way too exspensive
Basically, they are cotter pins on push bikes!

There are dozens( well almost) as psrt of the ball handles on the Quorn tool and cutter grinder and things like Geo Thomas's Universal Pillar Tool and his small dividing head. In these applications they are left soft so as not to damage mating metal bars etc.

They CAN be made cheaply from ground steel mrod known as 'silver steel' which is a higher carbon steel.

No great thing
- sorry-- had then on my little three wheeler bike. Basic stuff for apprebntices

Last edited:
Can't suggest anywhere yet. I have given up on it!
Ken

Hi Ken,

I use Q4OS, try this link and download the live CD image. It runs entirely from the CD, I believe that you can also run it from a USB key/thumb drive.

Just note, you will not be able to access the CD drive from either, so you won't be able to read the printer drivers disk. However you will be able to access the "Package Manager" and get your printer working that way. Also Konqueror is your file manager and if you want to use it a web browser, though I never use it for web browsing, much preferring Firefox.

HTH.

Previously we have had some discussions on Linux but I'm not sure abut Linux CADs. My experience with L CADs is that they; are pretty crappy and undeveloped. Wish they were better, I'd go over to them. Well, where to put it (sorting hat thimpfks). Why not see if there is enough interest. If there is interest, start a new thread. If not just try any thread that seems amenable to it. This particular thread explicityly states that you may say anything, something or nothing to everyone, someone or no-one (but be careful what you say, some ding-head might object for reasons unknown.)

Hi Richard,

I run and use

<QCAD - Downloads>

Don't be put off by the word "Trial" ! It runs as the full program for 15 minutes, but it doesn't shut down or watermark your work. If you need a feature that has ceased, just save your work and restart the program. I use mine a lot and bought a license last year, I've not renewed yet simply because I know that I will be able to continue using it forever ! How ever when you do decide you want the latest version you will get a discount.

Hi Ken,

I use Q4OS, try this link and download the live CD image. It runs entirely from the CD, I believe that you can also run it from a USB key/thumb drive.

Just note, you will not be able to access the CD drive from either, so you won't be able to read the printer drivers disk. However you will be able to access the "Package Manager" and get your printer working that way. Also Konqueror is your file manager and if you want to use it a web browser, though I never use it for web browsing, much preferring Firefox.

HTH.
I've never used a Debian based platform. 30 years ago I tried Red Hat and some others, but I liked Suse best. I'll try this Q4OS. Any suggestions?

Thanks Baron, I'll see what I do - when I get around to it! Some Rugby (League) to watch today - so some beer will be drunk! -And tomorrow... Pre-season friendlies... not that Rugby players seem to be friendly during a match! - Have to pay for the stream though - but as we can't get to live games we do... because it is "THE GAME!"
But raining hard, so maybe a bit of computer time (mail) this morning? - then maybe I'll look at the design of a ceramic burner - doing the calcs for a half-hour or so. - Just to decide size of jet, air-hole, length of mixer tube, internal baffles/porting, etc. nothing I can do on a computer, just pencil and paper... - Love it!
K2

Richard, back to the single cylinder compound sleeve piston ...
Years ago I had a book on various engine designs (1920s edition) from my grandfather - contained a 180 degree twin 2-stroke with a "double piston" - cylinder arrangement on each con-rod. The top piston was a conventional 2-stroke ported cylinder, but the lower half was a pre-cylinder (actually just an annulus) in place of using the crankcase for induction and pumping to the combustion chamber. Hence the 180 degree twin - so one side could pump into the other. This meant a wet-sump (crank lubrication) was possible (the only advantage?) - and could be a twin, straight or vee-four, boxer, etc. configuration.
BUT: using a sleeve piston arrangement, the top cylinder could be induction and pumping to the lower annulus for combustion... maybe...? But probably a thermal disaster? - Where is that drawing board?
Sorry, this is a deviation from "Flash Steam" - but the multiple compound was an idea I was thinking of relating to the high heat and high pressure normal in Flash Steam,,, - thinking that compounds were more efficient for using all the steam power? - Then got to thinking that the real reason Flash Steam didn't become widespread was the infernal combustion engine - money and development thereof - exceeded the convenience of even Flash Steam.....
K2

Last edited:
AAARGHHH!!! Q40S told me "something was missing" so it "couldn't open or install," or do anything.... It completely stopped the computer during start-up.... but after a few minutes of nonplussed confusion in my brain, I switched OFF and ON again.... at which point it offered me Q40S or Windows... so I am on Windows still until you can advise... Should I risk Q40S with the option at start-up?
Worried...
K2

Sorry, this is a deviation from "Flash Steam"
'Read the first paragraph of the OP's first original statement. I don't thimpfk you can deviate. Is it possible to make a drawing? I don't get what you are ttrying to say.

You can probably start it in Q4, but I am not sure, as I have not tried it yet.

Last edited:
AAARGHHH!!! Q40S told me "something was missing" so it "couldn't open or install," or do anything.... It completely stopped the computer during start-up.... but after a few minutes of nonplussed confusion in my brain, I switched OFF and ON again.... at which point it offered me Q40S or Windows... so I am on Windows still until you can advise... Should I risk Q40S with the option at start-up?
Worried...
K2

If you downloaded the ISO live CD you have to burn it to a disc or USB key, then you boot your computer from the CD or USB drive.
If you use a USB stick you still cannot use your CD drive.

Everything will run from the CD without having to do anything else, it is only after you have installed it to your HDD that you can start to add applications and save stuff.

You may have to tell your machine to boot from the CD, my machine does that automatically, so if I have a bootable medium in the drive it automatically boots that instead of the HDD.

Latest posts

Back