Expanding fire tubes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelvin2164

Reaction score
I'm building a Briggs type boiler for a 5" gauge loco in steel with copper fire tubes. I'm new to this and a liitle unsure. The boiler code says the only connection between the the tubes and the end plates is an expanded fit. No soldering. I assume this works, but I'm a bit worried about it. Would it be ok to smear the end of the tube with a bit of gasket goo before expanding, just to be sure of no leaks.

No, I think the gasket goo would ruin the seal. You want a nice clean, round hole in the tube sheets. A close sliding fit to the tube. Anneal the tube.

In full size boilers I have used a proper tube roller- a rig with some hard steel rollers on a tapered mandrel, but I dont think it would be reasonable to make one small enough for this size. I have read that a rubber cylinder with a threaded rod through it works. You insert the rubber in the tube and tighten the rod to compress and expand the rubber enough to stretch the copper tube.

The rubber expansion is good but i have not tried it.Suitable masonary expansion ftittings can also work,or something similar made up.I also think that the joints should also be silver soldered.I have only partly built 2 locos so i am not an expert,perhaps someone else can chip in.Regards barry

I think the reason for no soldering, is the problem with different expansion rates of copper and steel. Maybe the expanded tubes slide a little. Anyway at least with a Briggs boiler they are easy to get at if it doesn't seal.

what size are the tubes? I have a half inch tube roller I would sell. $75 + postage. Hopefully you are in the u.s.

We used Fuji Tuber Roller Expender to expand 1/2'' tube end into tube sheet.The tube sheet holes are drilled and reamed. An expander plug gage must be used to gage expansion.Over-expansion and under-expansion lead to tube leaks. Do not use power drills to do rolling/expansion. Copious qty of lube oil required to prevent premature wear to expander.Best to buy a new tube expander to avoid buying replacement. Was making shell and tube heat exchangers.

Latest posts

Back