Excello power feed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L98fiero

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for information on the installation of a Servo/Align type power feed on the X axis of my mill. I picked up a Chinese table feed but there is no adapter for the type of table I have. I have no problem building what I need but instead of reinventing the wheel I'm looking for at least pictures of an installation on my type of table as the Bridgeport style adapter is not correct.

Attachments

• Excello table_1.jpg
    Excello table_1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 112
I got sufficient information from the maual of the vAlign on thr 'bet. Mine was 110V and came with a converter to run on UK Mains

I suspect that you may beed to make anadapter for the mill drill as depepicted here. Once you have somethig like this, it s only a cououple of bolts to fix,

NB. I'm now almost blind and can't help much more

You'll need the vtwo gears to mesh. One on the long leads crew and one on the motor spindle. These came with my kit

Last edited:
I'm looking for information on the installation of a Servo/Align type power feed on the X axis of my mill. I picked up a Chinese table feed but there is no adapter for the type of table I have. I have no problem building what I need but instead of reinventing the wheel I'm looking for at least pictures of an installation on my type of table as the Bridgeport style adapter is not correct.

I had the similar problem when I tried to use a commercial drive on my Chinese Optimum Clone mill ! So I sent it back and made my own.

Mill-Table-drive.jpg

I assumed that the Align unit was a 'reality'

Hi Norman,

I trust that you are keeping well !

"Align" is the trade name of the product ! Actually I've seen the same units under several brand names over the years. Some of the latest ones are 230 volt units, though most are 110v.

Though some come with brackets for horizontal mounting, clamping them to the lip on the end of the mill table.

When I made mine I copied the hole positions from the mill table end bracket and used longer M6 CSK screws to mount the drive assembly.

I don't remember exactly what I did but I think that I had to machine off the dial. It was a long time ago. It was not really a lot of work.

Attachments

• IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 159
Thamks John and I hope that the summer? is being enjoyed.

So Almost 6 years ago, I bought an Align to fit my Warco Mill/Dill from Wardo in the UK.

Apart from the ¨nderguard for the gears, all had been OK. Mo9oney well spent:)
So on Feiday the 13th-- I'm a mason but not a Templar, all that is gounfg wromg is the AppleMac update( touchwood) Makes a secret sign with 2 fingers;)
So my old SiegSC4 is ready to go and an all singing- all dancing one should be on a delivery lorry.
Ki y for a mkTHREEE Quorn is eagerly awaing the arrival.

So I'm into grinding research yet again. Been amongst the Querns in the Hebries which are 4 v FOUR bThousand years old and stone circles too. So I'm down for North Erst Scotland agai and much the same on Orkney.
Comes the Autunal Equinox, I'm in the Cairngorms again amongst U shaped valleys, drumlins, terminal morains and reindeer. They make good Bambi Burgers.

In the middle of all this, I'm in Welsh Wales- look you boyoh

So Best Wushes- to all

Norman

I don't remember exactly what I did but I think that I had to machine off the dial. It was a long time ago. It was not really a lot of work.
That's the picture I was looking for! It appears that instead of using the adapter you just bolted the drive to the bracket and modified the dial. Probably just means drilling and tapping a couple of holes. Thanks!

That's the picture I was looking for! It appears that instead of using the adapter you just bolted the drive to the bracket and modified the dial. Probably just means drilling and tapping a couple of holes. Thanks!

Mine is mounted tp the LEDT--- and is UTTERLY different.

Regards

Norman

I just looked at the mill again to refresh my memory. At my age I have egg timer disease. I remember but it takes me three minutes. I machined off some off from the left had dial. Basically I moved the lead screw to the right enough to compensate for the additional space required for the feed motor.

I just looked at the mill again to refresh my memory. At my age I have egg timer disease. I remember but it takes me three minutes. I machined off some off from the left had dial. Basically I moved the lead screw to the right enough to compensate for the additional space required for the feed motor.
That makes sense, the way it is, the shaft seemed too short.
Did you ever replace the spindle bearings? This machine sat for quite a few years and the bearings sound a bit noisy so I was planning on replacing them but there is no cross reference for the top set of angular contacts, do you know about what bearings would be the appropriate replacements.

I did not replace the bearings but I did replace the seals. It sprayed oil when starting up after setting for a while. Quite a lot of work getting to the seals. Use 75W-140 synthetic gear lube. Not ATF or spindle oil.

If you have an Ex-Cell-O 602 there are two different types of table, this is the newer version where the leadscrew bearing mount forms the end of the table and a coolant gutter.
BUT I have a a perfectly good one called an 'Align'
None of these ethereal thingds. I've got it and regar ding the new lathe it is sitting on my drive ready for the arrival of tougher old guys than me.

n a corner there is a Mark1 Quorn which works abd a milldrill 0 as aforesaid.

Cesars throat-- Ivor' Novello's 'Pervhance to Dream'??????

Sorry

Norman as a realist at noe 91+ years

That makes sense, the way it is, the shaft seemed too short.
Did you ever replace the spindle bearings? This machine sat for quite a few years and the bearings sound a bit noisy so I was planning on replacing them but there is no cross reference for the top set of angular contacts, do you know about what bearings would be the appropriate replacements.
Parts list shows different bearings for the R8 spindle and the NMTA 40 spindle.

R8 (1) pr SKF #7208-B/P6/WM074 (1) pr SKF #7206-b/P6/WM074
NTMA (1) pr SKF #7206-B/P6/WM074 (1) SKF #7010CTC/C78G1 (1) SKF #7208-BG/P6?WM075

Parts list shows different bearings for the R8 spindle and the NMTA 40 spindle.

R8 (1) pr SKF #7208-B/P6/WM074 (1) pr SKF #7206-b/P6/WM074
NTMA (1) pr SKF #7206-B/P6/WM074 (1) SKF #7010CTC/C78G1 (1) SKF #7208-BG/P6?WM075
I have the #40 spindle and the lower bearings are readily available but there's no cross reference for the 7206 set. There are ball screw bearings but they are 7206010, 7206020, 7206030 and so on, they might fit but if I go ahead i'll have to check the shaft and bore sizes first.

You might encounter the style that clamps in the mill table pocket for RF-45 style bench mills. I had one & it worked well. The motor drive & gearing is fine, but I didn't care for the mounting. This post describes my mods which was a much more rigid solution. For some reason the smaller PF for this style of mills can cost more than the bigger ones you see on Bridgeport X & Y tables. But those require a bit more work & they are heavier.

https://www.***************.com/threads/rf-45-mill-power-feed-mount-improvement.64766/
*edit - and of course this forum wont allow posting links to Hobby Machinist* PM me if you want the link

The before & after result looks like this.

Attachments

• IMG_6432_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6432_edited-1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6472_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6472_edited-1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6475_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6475_edited-1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6477_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6477_edited-1.jpg