Everyone Beware!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoulda asked em for a nice new VMC Tel :big:
And you would make pumps to supply clean water to their village :mad:

These people are getting crafty! Everyone needs to be very careful!!!

I have obviously been getting an onslaught of spam e-mail to the effect that my account is suspended and you need to verify information and blah, blah, blah. We've all no doubt seen them!

They, or whoever, has started making phone calls now. I got a call from an individual stating he was with my retirement fund and needed to get some information urgently to help my retirement from falling down the huge stock market suck hole. I told him that I didn't have the information handy and would have to call him back. He left me a number and I turned right around and called my retirement fund management company and told them of the call to see if it was legitimate. You can take a guess as to what the answer was.... No.

It is the policy of the management firm to not call and solicit sensitive information over the phone. So, if you get a call such as this, brush them off and call the firm's main number to see if you are talking to a scammer. Many of these entities will have a security question to ask, and a very good indicator of it being a phony call is to give them a wrong answer (if your mother's maiden name is Smith, tell the caller it is Lauren of the Ralph Lauren clan or some other BS) and see what they say. If they say okay and proceed, then the gig is up and you know that you are talking to a scammer. If it is a legitimate call, then they will tell you your answer is not matching their records and you can give them the correct information.

If you are ever in doubt, blow them off, get a number and call the main phone number for the entity to verify that the number you were given is theirs and that they are making these types of calls. If they are, then proceed and if not, then I would advise turning it over to the authorities.

With the current market conditions slumping, this type of stuff will only get worse! Keep an eye open for this type of thing!!!

It gets better every day!

Today I received a very generous offer from an individual who wants to clear out site of spammers.
All I need to do is send them a copy of our member list and they will take it from there.

I'll get right on that! ::)

Do I have something tattooed on my forehead that I'm not aware of or do these these people actually
believe I AM as dumb as I look?
:big:

Rick

Now there is an IP address I'd love to know the origins for. Let's see.. we get hacked and someone knows enough about it to offer to "help". Yup... that math works for me.

Steve

rake60 said:
My parents received an an email with a new and more direct twist on extortion about year ago.

The sender stated that someone had paid him $9000 to kill one of them, but if they would send
him $10000 he'd call it all off. GAME ON!

I traced the IP and sent him a reply of my own including his physical address, phone number and
a map to his house. For whatever reason he did not reply to my email. ???

6 hours later I sent another email asking why I had not received a reply.
It came back immediately saying that that email address was no longer valid.
Perhaps they had forgotten to pay their ISP bill that month? ;)

Rick

Someone should market software that could enable ordinary users to do such a trace.
It would do to scammers what caller ID did to obscene phone calls.

Phelonius

Back