Ever Have a BAD Day?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I'm typing because if I go back down to my shop I'm afraid the next tool
I'll use will be the 20 pound hammer. I made two attempts at making
a cylinder for a new project.
The first time the cylinder was turned and bored. While milling the profile
on the sides the end mill sucked out and broke through into the bore.
On the second try while turning the end I threw it out of the lathe gouging
up the finished end I was chucking on.

The old saying is "Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you"

I guess it was the bear's day here......

rick :
I think we all have good days and bad days. IIRC I trashed the first two cylinders on my LTD stiring engine then I modified the design so the chuck will hold it better. It seem like some days fall into place and other days are a struggle to get anything done. The first two engines I built went smooth a week of spare time maybe 8 hour actual build. Most of the engines it seems like I spend more time hunting for tools and jumping through proverbial hoops than building.
It seems it does not matter how experienced one is at a task things can go wrong . I have been cooking for close to 40 years . The most basic of meals is breakfast. The other day I was cooking an egg an the heat was wrong made a total mess of it. I still ate the egg but had to work at cleaning the pan . Normally a quick wipe of with a paper towel and the cast iron is clean.

and a variation of the phrase you used. I heard it at a local flea market some days you cheat the bear some days the bear cheats you.
Tin

Well the bear must have been sleeping today.
I got my cylinder done. 16 blind holes tapped 2-56 without so much as
a squeek from the tap. Maybe I can still do this? :lol:
MillEngineCylinder.jpg

First piece of a new project. Hopefully it will go better than my last engine.
:roll:

Latest posts

Back