Essex Caloric Engine Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, my piston fit is too loose. I have some compression, but not like as shown in your video.

Thanks,

...Ved

I give up.

I expanded the piston. Heating to bright red and oil quenching enlarged the cylinder. I don't know how much. I didn't measure it. It didn't fit in the cylinder anymore.

So I re-lapped the cylinder bore to fit. As far as I can tell, I have a good seal this time.

After reassembling the engine, and a few hours of fiddling with it, it still doesn't run.

At this point I'm considering this endeavor a failure.

I plan on removing the base and finishing it (sanding & staining), but I made a very expensive paper weight.

CRAP!!!!!

(Please don't give suggestions. I've read many suggestions from other threads to no avail.)

...Ved.

I give up.

At this point I'm considering this endeavor a failure.

I plan on removing the base and finishing it (sanding & staining), but I made a very expensive paper weight.

CRAP!!!!!

(Please don't give suggestions. I've read many suggestions from other threads to no avail.)

...Ved.

Ved.
You're probably not too far from having it running. Several things are a must - Zero drag on anything, timing, enough heat.

The prototype took me about 7 months from "completion" to running; however, this included completely redesigning the displacer piston as a regenerator. At that point, I still wasn't happy with the way it ran. Later, I enlarged the furnace and re-did the stainless cylinder. From that point on, it has run like a champ (and was ready to release as a kit).

I definitely wouldn't give up yet. Joy and I will be attending (not exhibiting or showing) the Mid-East Ohio show this-coming weekend. Will you be there? I'd be happy to have a look at it. We'll also be at Cabin Fever and NAMES as vendors. Let me know.

Sometimes a fresh set of eyes is all it takes.
Todd.

Todd Snouffer
Littlelocos Model Engineering
www.littlelocos.com

Thanks for the offer Todd, but I'm done. It's time to move on to the next project.

Maybe after a cooling off period I'll get the gumption to work on it again, but now it's just a source of frustration that should avoided.

If hobby isn't enjoyable anymore, it's time to stop.

...Ved.

Ved,
Sounds like a plan. I know I've set aside projects for a while, putting them into a "Thinking Stage."
Thinking is good.
If you're ever in my neck of the woods and want to spend an afternoon in the shop working on it, let me know.
I'm happy to help.
Todd.

Latest posts

Back