ER32 for my X2 mini mill?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoltan

Reaction score
My mill has a MT3 spindle and I really hate having to hammer on the drawbar to release my tooling. Hate it.

I'm currently using an end mill holder, which is ok, but there is invariably more run-out than I'd like. Since the X2 uses small end mills the run-out is an issue. A huge plus is easily and quickly changing end mills without having to hammer on the drawbar.

I don't like using collets directly in the spindle since I constantly need to hammer the collets out of the spindle as I'm changing tools.

So I was considering going with the ER32 collet system. It seems like it would allow me to keep the ER32 chuck mounted almost permanently in the spindle and allow me to run both end mills, edge finders, and drill bit all from the chuck. It would also keep me from having to beat on the drawbar. I know I'd lose some height under the head, but since I have a MT3 spindle I already have more height than if I had a R8.

I was hoping some people with experience with R8 would discuss their experience with it.

I have an X2 with R8 spindle, and a 7x lathe with mt3 spindle. I bought an ER32 collet set and chucks for both spindles. I also made a flange mounted ER-32 collet chuck for the lathe. I still run R8 collets for end mills. I routinely run up to 5/8" end mills with no problems. I have a belt drive, air spring, extended rack, and a 2.5 HP treadmill motor and controller on the mill. I bought the R8 ER-32 collet chuck to be able to use the collet set on the mill, but have not used it other than trying it out when I first got it. Ialso bought the Stevenson hex and square ER-32 collet block and do use them on the mill in the vise.
Hope that helps...
Chuck

Hi,i bought the R8 spindle and the ER32 collet set and i am very pleased i did
I dont have experience with the MT3 on the mill but with all the comments
i assume i made the right choice.Changing tooling is a breeze with a light tap on the drawbar and no problem with headheight under the collet nut.I did raise the fixed height column with a 25mm spacer and took off the top plastic stop
This gave me an additional 40mm Z axis.If you read my thread on Diary of a bench mill it explains all Regards barry

Hi
Back in the distant past one of my mentors was highly skilled individual with the ability to pass on information and tips.
To insert a morse taper into the socket of a machine was to enter about one third of the length the taper into the socket and with a flick of the wrist slap it home.
The locking bolt was just nipped up firm with the thumb on the end of the wrench that that was on the nut using the force of small digits to keep it firm.
There is no need to winch up the the locking bolt. the friction grip of the morse taper is enough to drive it the the "Locking Bolt" is just there as a security device.

Eric

I have an X2 with MT3 spindle i use ER32 collets also and the only time i change over to a chuck is for drilling if i have to drill many different sized holes as the chuck is more conveniant.
I mostly just mount the drill bit in a collet to save time changing out tooling.
There is a modification that can be done to the top of the spindle and drawbar that allows you to push out the MT tooling , it is really nothing more than L/H internal threaded cap with hole drilled in the closed end and a modified drawbar that has the hex turned down for 3/4 of its length and two flats machined on the end of this turned down section to allow a spanner to tighten / loosen the drawbar.
This gives a shoulder on the drawbar that pushes on the inside of the threaded cap and the turned section of the drawbar pokes up through the hole in the cap so you can get at it with a spanner.
As the drawbar is R/H thread and the cap L/H thread they oppose each other allowing one to push against the other.
You need to machine the lock nut on the top of the spindle to make it thinner to get access to the L/H thread so you can screw the cap on and it stays there permanently.

I have an X2 with MT3 spindle i use ER32 collets also and the only time i change over to a chuck is for drilling

I have the same, the collets came with the mill, I'm suprised that OP's mill didnt.

O/T
XD351, love that avatar, seeing the pic of Dick Johnson in his Falcon reminds me of fond memories.
/ OT

Steve.

Just to follow up, I ended up buying an ER25 system for the mill and couldn't be happier. I hope to add a ball bearing nut to it soon, which should make it even nicer to use.

Back