ER32 Collet chuck, can I modify it?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will have a harden shaft like my DA collets. = Good Luck.

ER32 Collet chucks are available on a 3MT. Cheapest from china.

Jo

Get yourself a flange-mount ER32 chuck. 3/4" stock goes right down the spindle with room to spare. An MT3 shanked chuck limits you to short work.

I got mine from http://amtools.com/er32millingcolletchuckfixture.aspx but they've shown "out of stock" for a while. Great buy if you can get one. I think Arc Euro in the U.K. have them too but shipping & price is higher of course.

Arc Euro in the U.K. have them too but shipping & price is higher of course.
I was looking at the Arc flanged ER collet chucks which are mounted to a backplate by means of three bolts.
Arc also stocks suitable backplates, the plain 1 /12" x 8TPI would suit my lathe, but I was wondering how one would go about mounting the collet chuck to the backplate so as to ensure concentricity?
Clive

The back of the chuck has a shallow recess for a register Clive.

Thanks Omnimill, so in effect accuracy is dependant on being able to turn the register precisely to size.
I would have no problem trying this for a 4 jaw chuck where a touch of run-out would not be problematic, but can't see how I would do this without spoiling the sub-thou run-out one might expect from an ER collet.

I opened up the register a bit on mine & drilled/tapped the flange for 4 brass-tipped screws that bear against the spindle flange nose. This allows the mounting nuts to be snugged up & the chuck ID to be dialed in perfectly before final torquing the nuts. Both my EMCO C8 clone & Denford ORAC CNC lathe have the spindle flange with the tapered nose.

If yours doesn't have that, you can still open up the register a bit & bump the chuck into alignment before torquing the nuts. This allows a bit of wiggle-room if you run into a collet that's out a bit. I've never had any problems with slippage yet.

You could always make one for your lathe. Being turned on the same spindle it will be used on will almost guarantee its accuracy. I built this one for my SB9" it's a relatively simple project.

no2n.jpg

Hi,
Has anyone found an Australian source for one of these flange mounted chucks?
Would need to mount to an old Hercus lathe.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Dickeybird, thanks that is very helpful.

Shawn, I should probably take your advise and try making a chuck similar to yours. My concern though is cutting the metric thread for the closing nut on my 8tpi leadscrew Logan lathe.
Clive

I plan to make a flange type ER32 chuck for the lathe, when I get collets. I am cheap enough to want to be able to use whatever collet set I get on both the lathe and mill, as well as whatever I come up with for an indexer and my RT with the M2 center hole or the M2 mounted copy of the lathe spindle.

Chuck

My concern though is cutting the metric thread for the closing nut on my 8tpi leadscrew Logan lathe.
Clive
If you have the gears needed to do 17TPI Clive it'll work fine. 17TPI is .0588" and 1.5mm is .0590". I made an ER40 chuck (has the same thread) using 17TPI and it worked great. The threads are easy, getting the taper right is little harder.

You could always make one for your lathe. Being turned on the same spindle it will be used on will almost guarantee its accuracy. I built this one for my SB9" it's a relatively simple project.

no2n.jpg

Shawn,

I like your idea.... Do you happen to have a couple more photos?

Robert

Thanks Shawn..... I have thought about making one of these for some time... Looks like a fun and useful project.

Robert

Latest posts

Back