ER collets in South Bend lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My most loved and most used machine is my BCA jig borer , it was built in 1940 and is some years older than me , but still produces very accurate work.
It is , however , limited by the difficulty in obtaining collets , I have a small range of imperial sizes including 1/4" which covers most end mills upto that size but metric ? no chance !
I decided an ER20 collet chuck was the way to go and made this

bca-chuck-1.jpg

I decided on the ER20M (mini) nut which gives a bit more clearance and bought the collets , nut and spanner from Cutwell tools.com.
I can now hold metric cutters and imperial with upto 1/2" shanks !
A very useful addition and well worth the effort.

th_wwp

No pictures it never happened Mosey!!!
You should know the drill by now! ;D

Andrew

Yeah, I know. I thought I might sneak one by.
I can't remember how to get something video onto Utube and then over to here. Any help?
This one shows cutting back the cast iron backplate to make a true register for the holder, which bolts on.

IMG_0279.jpg

The easiest way is to upload it to youtube and once completed there is a box named "Share"
If you click the box it will expand and give you a link, just right click the link and copy it and then past it into your reply here.

Easy as pie!

Andrew

and here are some more....
these show the total runout after tapping into alignment...about .0004"
The 2 indicator views are the min and max readings when rotating the holder through 360 degrees.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

I will like to make one for my old S.B. 10K lathe, attached to a backplate with 2 1/4 - 8 thd

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back