Equivalent of Vitrea 37 Oil ??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

Reaction score
I've just noticed that the oil level on my Elliott Omnimill is showing slightly low and a quick look at the manual recommends either Shell Vitrea 37 or Mobil Vactra Heavy, neither of which appear to be readily avilable locally. From what I can see Vactra Heavy is a ISO100 which I think equates to SAE30, and I do have a bottle of SAE30 compressor oil in the garage. The oil bath is for the column gearing for the horizontal head which also drives the table power feed -so would anyone care to hazard an opinion as to whether the compressor oil will be up to spec or I have I lost something in the translation ?

The oil is for the column gearing

Thanks

Jim

Vactra Heavy is ISO 100, as you've found, Jim. It's a standard quality hydraulic oil. I mean "standard", as
in, it doesn't have a lot of anti-rust additives. I don't know if your compressor oil is the same kind of
thing as hydraulic oil. I think you should be able to find ISO 100 hydraulic oil at just about any auto and
farm supply, and it should do well for this. I don't know if you have a similar product there, but a general
'good-for-most-stuff' oil here is called hydraulic tractor fluid. It's a hydraulic oil made for lubrication of
gear driven hydraulic systems. Similar to Vactra Heavy, but with a few more additives to be compatible
in many applications.

The ISO and SAE products have equivalent ratings for some things, but are not really interchangeable.
The two specifications are set at different temperature standards. Your SAE 30 may be a similar
weight, but not otherwise comparable to the ISO oil your Elliott wants.

Dean

Latest posts

Back