Enlarging spindle hole

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnie

Reaction score
Anyone use a reamer to enlarge the spindle borehole? I have a 9 inch South Bend that is 3/4 inch. I wonder how much bigger I could go if it's even possible?

Very little
The feed gear limits the size it part of the spindle. You can not even go upto 13/16". The spindle is same as the 10K.

Dave

Anyone use a reamer to enlarge the spindle borehole? I have a 9 inch South Bend that is 3/4 inch. I wonder how much bigger I could go if it's even possible?

Thanks for that information. It was suggested by someone that had done this but was not a South Bend lathe. I will have to ask him what lathe he has.

You can cut the the spindle
The problem is threading gear .
You need to make a new headstock to fit a larger gear.

Dave

Check to see whether the spindle is hardened first!

I use a Boxford lathe at home, which is a SB9" clone. I came by an 8" 3 jaw chuck, which is way bigger than the machine can really handle - and of course one must be careful how far out the jaws are, or they'll clout the bed! But - the chuck is deep, and has a large hole up the middle, which helps a lot with holding things which otherwise (in the 4" chuck I used previously) would be a pain. It's not as useful as a 2" spindle bore, as on one machine at work.

I suppose there is a lot of overhang on the front spindle bearing, and the setup will not be too rigid - I tend to use the tailstock for parting, for example. But on balance, given my tight space constraints which forbid a larger lathe at home, I'm pleased with the big chuck.

(Edit - I knew I had a photo on here somewhere - here is the link, though the idea is not very complicated!
Small lathe, big chuck )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back