Enlarging spindle hole

Help Support HMEM:

arnie

Reaction score
Anyone use a reamer to enlarge the spindle borehole? I have a 9 inch South Bend that is 3/4 inch. I wonder how much bigger I could go if it's even possible?

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Very little
The feed gear limits the size it part of the spindle. You can not even go upto 13/16". The spindle is same as the 10K.

Dave

Anyone use a reamer to enlarge the spindle borehole? I have a 9 inch South Bend that is 3/4 inch. I wonder how much bigger I could go if it's even possible?

arnie

Reaction score
Thanks for that information. It was suggested by someone that had done this but was not a South Bend lathe. I will have to ask him what lathe he has.

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
You can cut the the spindle
The problem is threading gear .
You need to make a new headstock to fit a larger gear.

Dave

Check to see whether the spindle is hardened first!

MRA

Reaction score
I use a Boxford lathe at home, which is a SB9" clone. I came by an 8" 3 jaw chuck, which is way bigger than the machine can really handle - and of course one must be careful how far out the jaws are, or they'll clout the bed! But - the chuck is deep, and has a large hole up the middle, which helps a lot with holding things which otherwise (in the 4" chuck I used previously) would be a pain. It's not as useful as a 2" spindle bore, as on one machine at work.

I suppose there is a lot of overhang on the front spindle bearing, and the setup will not be too rigid - I tend to use the tailstock for parting, for example. But on balance, given my tight space constraints which forbid a larger lathe at home, I'm pleased with the big chuck.

(Edit - I knew I had a photo on here somewhere - here is the link, though the idea is not very complicated!
Small lathe, big chuck )

Last edited:

Latest posts