English Hobby Machinist Magazine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal12

Reaction score
I'm having a brain fart & I cant remember the name of the hobby machinist magazine from ENgland . I seem to remember it had workshop in the name & had a sister magazine that was maybe for trains ?
thanks
animal

'Model Engineer' and 'Model Engineers Workshop' are probably the most known there are also some over titles by the same publisher,, mortons i think it is.

There may be another called 'moddeling in miniature' rings a bell.

Luke.

Model Engineer's Workshop , the one I was looking for . I'm wanting to subscribe . They seem to have a lot more interesting articles than the other ones I get at the book stores .
thanks
animal

Now the company is owned by Mortons Media, Model Engineer and Model Engineer's Workshop are available on Readly, Engineering in Miniature was already there.

If you do take out a digital subscription it is better done through MEW as that currently gives you access to the archive which is a couple of hundred back issues will be all again if they get round to updating to HTML5. You won't get that with a sub from an online news stand like Pocketmags.

Good to know , back issues are important ! I really like having the hard copies , but cost wise digital seems like the best way to go
thanks
animal

I've been trying for a week to get a digital subscription & none of my attempts have gone through .
Wondering if it's cause I'm in the US & not UK ?
animal

They are moving a lot of things from one system to another due to the recent change in publishers, give it another week or two and they should have the digital subs sorted.

If you do take out a digital subscription it is better done through MEW as that currently gives you access to the archive which is a couple of hundred back issues will be all again if they get round to updating to HTML5. You won't get that with a sub from an online news stand like Pocketmags.
I had a quick look and it seems that the digital subscription with archive access is more expensive? Probably still worthwhile, though.

Digital is the cheapest, then print with print + Digital being the most expensive.

Great Magazine, I have subscribed for 20+ years, I tried the digital version but it isn't the same as a printed copy. Something comforting in a magazine.
In the past, it was possible to buy the first 160 editions on disc from eBay, don't see it anymore perhaps copyright issues.

Hi !
I have never read Hobby Machinist Magazine
I have a question , what information is in those magazines ?
Thanks !

Hi, Minh-Thanh; The Hobby Machinist is a forum, not unlike this one, but they do have a section devoted to projects members have reported on: hobby-machinistDotCom (link was not accepted by the forum).

I subscribed to the print version of Model Engineer years ago, and when I had more time to devote to the hobby had a digital subscription to Model Engineers' Workshop: Model Engineer focused primarily on model steam engines, whereas Model Engineers' Workshop includes a wider range of articles. However, since I was also subscribed to The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop (both published by The Village Press, along with Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading [similar to Model Engineer] and Digital Machinist [devoted to CNC, 3D Printing, Robotics, etc.], I dropped the Model Engineers' Workshop subscription due to cost and the limited ability to print extracts from the digital version (at least using my Mac) – with the change to the platform noted above this may have changed.

Here are links to The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop websites:

Home - Home Shop Machinist
Machinists Workshop Magazine

From either of the homepages you can get to The Home Shop Machinist forum by going to the "Community" tab and selecting "Forum."

Charlie

Great Magazine, I have subscribed for 20+ years, I tried the digital version but it isn't the same as a printed copy. Something comforting in a magazine.
In the past, it was possible to buy the first 160 editions on disc from eBay, don't see it anymore perhaps copyright issues.
A few years ago I purchased boxes of Model Engineer magazines going back to before WW2 for £45 and the guy paid delivery, the courier hated me as we have two flights of steps up to our front door. Didn't realise that boxes of magazines are also good for weight training as well.

Model engineers workshop is a great magazine .
I enjoy it every month . Worth every penny .

Back in the days when flash was still around , acces to the archives was a invaluable source of idea's and information .
Then a few years back came the new html5 based reader wich had the print function blocked .
And this made the digital subscription a lot less appealing .
The print function was never restored , altough many subscribers complained about it .
Next flash player was blocked worldwide and all the old archives are lost for the moment .
There's talk of them being converted to html5 however , hopefully that will happen .

I'de say get the printed subscription , forget about digital .
If ever the old archives get restored , and made printable again , then it's time to reconsider .

Pat

I agree, even though you can take a screen shot, the images are fuzzy and not worth the effort unless you zoom in first, which means you need two screen shots per page.

My first introduction into model engineering was a bound reprint of the 1972 series, which I still have. Unfortunately, my other copies from the late '80's & early 90's got lost in a move, and the content of the digital subscription just wasn't as good.

Back