Engines made from Corian

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My buddy Jimbo has a connection who feeds him Corian scraps for free. He gives the sink cutouts and cutoffs to jim and of course he passes them on to us. Over the years some of the Corian has made it back to him in the form of pens and yoyo's. I wanted to send him a thanks for all the scraps that I have received so I decided to redesign one of Mr. Graham's engines and here is what we came up with. I call it the Double Double. It was designed as a single cylinder and that was doubled. It's size was also doubled. These are made completely from Corian with the exception of the crankshaft and crank pins.

These went to the supplier of the material.

DSCN2591s.jpg

These I made for myself.

DSCN2597s.jpg

Running on 5lb's of air : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_zorw5Zjg[/ame]

Running on one pound: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2uGxEHwLsI&feature=related[/ame]

That is a very nice collection/series of engines, Steve.
Thanks for sharing not only the engines but the construction thread.
Gail in NM

I was just recently given a piece of the stuff. Do you use any special tooling for it? Can I use HSS tools to cut it?

What do you use for polishing? Is all that just hand sanded?

rleete said:
I was just recently given a piece of the stuff. Do you use any special tooling for it? Can I use HSS tools to cut it?

What do you use for polishing? Is all that just hand sanded?

You can use anything that you would use on aluminum to cut. No 2 colors are alike. Some of the lighter colors are like plastic with long stringy chips and some of the darker colors are more like brass with powder and small chips flying out. I cut with the spindle up at full speed (3500RPM?)and I didnt need to sand anything except the cylinders to get some tooling grooves out. I just put a coat of wax on them.

Latest posts

Back