Engineering software development

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnoldb

Reaction score
I'm busy writing some software based on Marv Klotz's utilities, but for "DOS challenged" ;) people.

For the most part, it will be linux based, but I'm using Lazarus/Freepascal to develop, so my source code will be able to be compiled for Windows in 32 and 64 bit variations (as well as Windows CE/Mobile) and MAC OS/X. All development will be for free and open source.

For those of you that have not run away screaming yet from the nerd-talk ;) , I'd like some feedback of features/utilities you might find useful. I cannot guarantee inclusion, or quick results, but I'll try my best.

My planning is to make a kind of Workshop Assistant software with some of the more commonly needed functions. So far, for my personal use, I have identified a dividing head calculator, fits calculation, metric/imperial conversion functions, change gear calculation, and some general data tables with lookup functions.

Though not directly CNC related, this looked like the best location to post to.

Regards, Arnold

So far in my short machining career I have used Marv's flywheel and ball cutter programs. Not being DOS-challenged I find them easy to use. Of the ones you mentioned I would probably use the dividing head calculator at some point.

Speeds and feeds for lathe, mills and drills in various materials and sizes. Thread major diameters (not the official 'size') for typical threads. Drill point sizes. Metric/imperial conversion, plus conversion using other factors (0.040" = 1mm and 1mm = 1/32")

Last time I suggested a similar thing, the response was less than positive. That said, I still believe that it would be a useful thing to have.

I'm an experienced Pascal/Delphi programmer (and much more). I've never worked with the Linux flavour thereof, but I can work in that environment too. The time I can commit is limited, but if there is anything I can give a hand with, let me know via email [email protected].

-Sparky

Thanks for the responses everyone

Sparky, I'll drop you an email a bit later.

Arnold this is an interesting idea.
There is such a program in existence similar anyway.
http://www.machinist-calculator.com/Machinist-Calculator.html
Any who are interested can download a fully functional demo version.
The license is $35 for those willing to pay.
No affiliation I just downloaded the demo file and will install in the shop computer when I get a chance.

And another program to look at
http://www.enggtools.com/html/product/suite.htm
this one is pricey to buy OK for a pro but IMHO out of the Hobby range.
But 15 free uses of a fully functional version.

Tin

This might be a good place to interject some comments of my own.

Scaling programs...

I wrote a special purpose one once for a guy. It allowed him to enter a scale factor and a list of measurements in the form of ft-in-fractional inches into a data file and it would then spit out all the scaled measurements in both Imperial and metric form. I never put it on my page because I thought it was too simple and specialized to be of general interest.

Scaling is very easy to do with most scientific calculators (the penultimate essential shop tool) so before writing a scaling program I think we would need to obtain a consensus from prospective users as to what facilities it should contain.

I wrote my own version of a tool for these sorts of jobs. It's called MIX and is on my page.
Basically it's a four function calculator that allows one to enter lengths in either metric or Imperial (decimal or conventional fraction) form and shows results automatically in all forms of both measurement systems. In addition, it provides for a user-specified scale factor to be applied to all inputs.

Take a look at it and see if it is useful for you. Playing with it may prompt suggestions about how it could be made more useful for the jobs you have in mind.

Unit conversion programs...

There are a minor infinity of them available on the web - some of them quite good. However, most of them have no facility for compounding units. For example, the program may "understand" acres, feet and gallons as units of area, length and volume but has no provision for converting acre-ft to gallons.

When I wrote my UNIT program, I set it up to be able to handle *any* compounding of the fundamental units it understood. It also permits appending *all* the conventional prefixes (e.g., micro, kilo, atto, yocto) to *any* of the units without the need to have separate entries for each of these possibilities. In addition, it utilizes an ASCII data file so the user can easily add his favorite unit to the program.

This level of flexibility may be overkill for guys who only want to calculate their weight in stones, but many technical users have found it extremely useful. I might suggest that, if you're going to take the time to become familiar with a program, it should be one that doesn't limit you when you expand into more complex aspects of the hobby.

Again, I urge you to try the program and report your opinions here so that Arnold can decide what is best to incorporate into the composite tool he's building.

Tin Falcon said:
Arnold this is an interesting idea.
There is such a program in existence similar anyway.
http://www.machinist-calculator.com/Machinist-Calculator.html
Any who are interested can download a fully functional demo version.
The license is $35 for those willing to pay.
No affiliation I just downloaded the demo file and will install in the shop computer when I get a chance.

And another program to look at
http://www.enggtools.com/html/product/suite.htm
this one is pricey to buy OK for a pro but IMHO out of the Hobby range.
But 15 free uses of a fully functional version.

Tin

Another commercial product worth examining is Michael Rainey's excellent offering...

http://www.cncci.com/pdf/MEPro brochure.PDF

My history is Basic, ASM, Turbo Pascal, Turbo C, Watcom C++, Delphi and now Lazarus on Win XP although I'm pretty familiar with Linux too. My experience is mostly in business applications (boring) and computer games :)D). You're welcome to drop me a line if you need input on anything - don't promise I can help but another pair of eyes with a lump of grey stuff attached sometimes does the job ;D

Thanks for the offer Paul - you pretty much have the same experience I have - except I skipped C.
I haven't made much progress, as I am working long days at work doing development on a system for my company, with a near-impossible deadline. So by the time I get home in the evenings, program code is the last thing I want to see - and my grey stuff is fried; 12 hour shifts at programming is pretty exhausting!

For those that are impatient ;) I had a look at the link Julian provided - that program looks good.

Regards, Arnold

The program 'Model Engineers' Utilities' has a new utility called 'Inch Fractions and Scaling'. I hope it is to your liking.
Download from www.alanjmunday.info for free.

AJM:
Welcome when you get a few minutes post a intro thread in th welcome area and tell us a little about yourself. We know a programmer interested in model engineering Right??? LOL
Thanks for sharing your work
Tin

AJM, There seems to be a problem with"setup" on my comp. Setup stops working and windows Vista cant find a solution for it. Dont think there is a problem with my comp as other programs setup OK.

Ron

HMM just loaded it on a Vitsa machine no problem.
Tin

OK tried again, "setup.exe has stopped working" popped up again. Don't know what the problem can be then. Any ideas?

Ron

Latest posts

Back