Engine Projects

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve scoured the internet for an operating 28 cylinder model p&w engine. Has anyone built one?

Steve, I had to read that three times before it clicked. I kept thinking, "if they were able to start the engine, why didn't it keep running?" Then I realized that you meant - I think you meant - that they started building the engine.

Sorry for the confusion I finally found a patent drawing of the articulated counterweight and the reason for it. The guy that invented it was much higher educated than me. He said the crankshaft was too heavy so he had it lightened. Knowing that the minute flexing might cause issues down the road so he did extensive vibration analysis and endless calculations then came up with this device. Since a model engine can’t produce anywhere near the hp per pound that the big motor could I don’t think it would be needed. The model crank may look like a pretzel but it would be very difficult to get into dynamics like the full size one. Being a hotrodder I probably would push the model to its limits just to see how fast it could run. I would base it on Mr. Hogsons’ 18 cylinder motor. If the model motor could make 15 hp at 4-5000 rpm it would be fantastic. I plan on designing a brake Dtho for testing Too. Several have done these for cart motors so it’s no too difficult or expensive. It’s a matter of bailing out of two of my other expensive hobbies. Classic cars and boats. I have one of each for sale cheap.

Ha,ha nitro is $40 a gallon now. I think it’s $840 for a 42 gallon drum. That size has to do with home land security. More on that later if interested. I don’t have any nitro capable motors so I don’t worry about it.

Last week I saw a brief video of a guy that built an 18 cylinder radial out of two Hogson 9 cylinder radials . Apparently he didn’t know about Hogson 18 cylinder. Anyway he adapted two engines together much the same as I had earlier proposed, that being to build and adaptor forvthe engines then use a coupler between them . There are lots of good ones ok for model use. Soooooo. Why not carry this a step further and use 4 Hogson 7 cylinder engines the same way? It would need better oil system unless the plan one is used for each section or engine. Air fuel distribution might be a problem but there are scroll blower plans or drawings as well as some adapted leaf blower items as well as test videos. I YHINK I’d still used a draw thru carb . It puts a lot of air, fuel mix in the intake side but a simple back fire valve like we used on race cars would be ok . It pretty amazing how much air and pressure you can generate with these especially if compounded . The last engine in the string would also need an accessory shaft to drive a planetary gear to run the blowers at speed As well as provide for starter motor. The gy simply flipped the prop and it started right up . You could use 4 separate ignitions thus simplifying this it’s still a lot of stuff in motion but “ oh what fun). There a number of commercial Rc model radial engine that could be ganged up but the total cost would be unbelievable.

I see free cad has closed down unless a new operator can be found . I surely would model this long before before chip making. In fact I YHINK even if I had to farm out 3 d printing I’d do this . First it would be nice to just have a table model to look at. Clear plastic would be my choice. There are any number of services that could do this . I spoke with a local one and he said he could give a price with a file . He even suggested that it could be modeled as “ shake and break” which means you could model it as one piece then just wiggle it around to disassemble it. Basically you would leave a small clearance between parts as you build the cad assembly modele file . Anyway this is my dream . At least temporary on hold until med issues settle down I can see the project but my drive and energy just is not there . It’s extremely frustrating to know I have something to do but my energy and push just is not there. It’s called fatigue. The doc noted this as a common side effect. It would be easy to drift into depression but fortunately that’s not in my vocabulary it’s part of the med condition that’s not under my control I’ve got at least another month and a half before there might be a change. Just getting old is getting old.
It’s funny, today I forced myself to go for a walk up to the mail boxes . There I found a $560 check that I was not expecting for a couple weeks. You would think I’d be happy as can be. But it was just “ oh that’s nice and walked home.” No bounce or cheering . I could spend it a dozen ways and not give it a second thought.
Now I see free cad is done so I’ll have another project. To model up. I’m still helping my son with big Rc model airplanes mostly as tutor as I can’t see worth a darn in fact I’ve had to hook my cad computer up to the TV so I can see the icons and type instructions I’m getting my son into cad so I can transfer experience to youth. Thankfully I’ve still got some mind left. Many are much worse off than me so I’m fortunate in having this.

Anyway that the comment for today

Byron

As of June 1st is my understanding. I have not attempted getting files at this point . I’ll look for the announcement and try yo save it.

Code close as they're moving to issuing a new release - - - is that what you mean?
As I understand it ...

FreeCAD will be releasing version 0.21 "any day now." This will not include the solution to the topographical naming solution, which is the big thing that many FreeCAD users are waiting for - integrating that solution is in progress, but they are working on resolving some performance degradation that came with the solution. When they release that, it will be version 1.0.

As I understand it ...

FreeCAD will be releasing version 0.21 "any day now." This will not include the solution to the topographical naming solution, which is the big thing that many FreeCAD users are waiting for - integrating that solution is in progress, but they are working on resolving some performance degradation that came with the solution. When they release that, it will be version 1.0.

Now if only I could figure out how to actually use the myriad of tools each with its own delineations - - - - life would be good.
I have a project where 3D would be quite useful. Seems like the only way to model it is to make every piece separately.
(Can you imagine - - - then - - - how in the sam snot does one model expanded metal mesh(?) never mind keeping track of the 1000s of other little metal bits - - - I think I might still be faster making a cardboard model!!!)

To model expanded metal you only need to model one side of one diamond. For the flattened stuff, you would mirror it in one direction and then mirror the result in the other direction to complete a single diamond. You would then use a repeat pattern to cover the required area. Simples.

For the stuff with the tilted edges the inital modelling of one leg and the transforms to make the first diamond would be more complicated but basically similar.

Latest posts

Back