Engine of the month by : Davyboy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
Every month we see great projects being posted and wanted to bring special attention to engines that stand out. They might be someone’s first effort or one made buy an old timer that has been at this for while. They might be made from barstock, castings, or just stuff they dug out of the scrap bin. We don’t discriminate around here, we like them all. This is intended to make the site more fun. Hopefully everyone that has an engine that they built, will be encouraged to post pictures of it.

All the bugs aren’t worked out yet. What we are planning to do is. The moderators will chose 3 models every month. Then there will be a poll that the members will vote on to choose the winner. There are no prizes, just that warm fuzzy feeling near your heart :eek:)

For the first Engine of the month, I want to bring special attention to Davyboy’s Treadle Engine. He started out with an idea and some scraps. He took them and turned them into a functional piece of art. If you don’t believe me, watch his Video. Not many people can do that and he should be proud.
Fred28.jpg

Fred0035.jpg

Here are the two links to his build One, Two.

Way to Go Davyboy!!!

Good choice . Great job Davy the Man ;D

Very well done Davyboy! Congrats!!!

Rick

Don Huseman said:
how did you make that finger detente or depression.

I don't know how Davy did it but I know how I would do it. Simply mount the piece at an angle in the vise and run a ball mill into it. As you go farther up the slope the cut gets wider and deeper.

I did something similar one time when I made some decorative rosettes for the decorated stern of a model sailing ship. Turned a shallow cone into the end of a length of round brass, then mounted it in my indexer and, starting in the middle, cut outward into the cone surface with a ball mill. Index and repeat to produce six 'petals'. Worked nicely though a bit fiddly since the stock was 1/4" and the endmill was 1/16".

great!!!!

Creativity...A most important and enjoyable part of this hobby. Some got it and some don't. I suspect this hobby contains more that do than don't (either by intent or necessity).

You got it Davyboy

Thanks for sharing,

Ray M

Nice work Davyboy. The workmanship and finish on the completed engine is inspiring. ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Beautiful! ...and you don't have to worry about fouling the spark plug ;D.

Frank

Davyboy, congrats!!! Nice looking piece you have there!

Wow! This is a real thrill and an honor to have my work showcased front and center. I’m proud 8) to have been noticed by such a skilled group. This was a fun engine to build, it’s fun to play with, and seeing it here is a whole new level of fun. Thank you to all. Dave

PS. Marv had it pegged on the ball end mill trick, in this case 1” dia.

Back