Engine learner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chenoel21

Reaction score
Good day to you all. I am a little high school graduate, I studied automobile mechanics for 7 years while in high school. I just wish to ask if anyone could help me with ideas about designing and producing a mini engine ( maybe a 30 mm engine). I am waiting for your suggestions. I don't know much but I am really to learn

Welcome to group
My background is machine work started in 1973. I can tell you everyway to do machine work the Good the Bad the Ugly.
Right now we dessetion on cutoff blades. I remember doing everyway there taking about and just wanting bar to cutoff.

What part of world do you live.

Dave

Good day to you all. I am a little high school graduate, I studied automobile mechanics for 7 years while in high school. I just wish to ask if anyone could help me with ideas about designing and producing a mini engine ( maybe a 30 mm engine). I am waiting for your suggestions. I don't know much but I am really to learn

Welcome to group
My background is machine work started in 1973. I can tell you everyway to do machine work the Good the Bad the Ugly.
Right now we dessetion on cutoff blades. I remember doing everyway there taking about and just wanting bar to cutoff.

What part of world do you live.

Dave
Thanks sir, I appreciate your help. I am from Africa. Originally, I am from Cameroon but I am schooling in South Africa currently

My suggestions :
You can download the webster engine plan
And increase or decrease its size.
And Welcome !

Brian those plans are first rate, the first engine I built was a steam engine casting and I broke the cross slide in the lathe while
machining it...😒

Perhaps first find some drawings for an oscillating compressed air engine. Steel cylinder, standard, crank and base with 12 mm / 1/2" brass piston and connecting rod. Teaches basic lathe, drill and bench work. Many have been made by my students in high school. They don't take too much time to make and can be made from bits of scrap. Get something wrong and just make another bit. What you learn on one of these will save you time later.

Andy Munns !
Perhaps first find some drawings for an oscillating compressed air engine. Steel cylinder, standard, crank and base with 12 mm / 1/2" brass piston and connecting rod. Teaches basic lathe, drill and bench work. Many have been made by my students in high school. They don't take too much time to make and can be made from bits of scrap. Get something wrong and just make another bit. What you learn on one of these will save you time later.

Yes, you are right,
But With lots of useful information on the forum, and with a lot of webster engine projects, I think it's not too difficult.

chenoel21 !

Lots of useful information for you in the link if you decide to build a webster engine, and much more if you search the forum
https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/introducing-the-steel-webster.31993/
And more importantly: your own effort and patience !

I would say that a key question is the amount of machining experience you have and an estimate of how much time you have to devote to the project. If either of these is on the low side, I would suggest going with a simpler wobbler to get your feet wet - it will help you develop your machining skills and is a simple enough project that you can complete it relatively quickly.

The thread Minh Thanh linked to was mine, and as you can see in the first sentence, I decided to go ahead and tackle the Webster as my first engine project - but I have been a home shop machinist for a dozen years, so I felt comfortable taking on the challenge, and I planned the project so that I could do a lot of the work over the semester break, when I would be able to carve out more time in the shop. I should note, though, that I also made the project more complicated than the original Webster - for example, I made my own gears, rather than buying them, and modified the design in a number of ways. Probably not the way to go if you are relatively new to machining ... unless, perhaps, you have a mentor who can give a lot of time coaching you through it, or as Minh Thanh says, lots of time and patience! :)

Latest posts

Back