Engine choice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
I am looking for either plans for a sterling or atmospheric engine. Either free or a link where I can buy them.

A little more specific.. Something that has the ability to put a very small load on, yet is not internal combustion.

I have thought about getting one of the material kits from LMS, But I am just not sure. They have the looks

480.2215.jpg

480.2214.jpg

I purchased the "vickie" plans from Jerry Howell, but I am just not sure... maybe the 4 in 1 would be better.

I guess a little more info would help... This engine needs to power a small rotating piece. Sorta like one of the sterling fans that you have seen. But unlike being semi functual, this will be a "steampunk" art piece.

Thanks
Eric

From my experience, Stirling engines are less finicky than atmospheric engines and have more useful torque. They are also generally quieter. Of course, that could be considered a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your tastes!

Chuck

Hi Brass Machine,
Check out the back issue November/December 2005 of Home Shop Machinist (they still sell them last I checked). That issue featured a nice 1.125" bore Stirling. I built a few of them and got them running. I've also seen several at shows. At NAMES 2007 one of them was powering a small crane.

Cheers,
Phil

Philjoe5 said:
Hi Brass Machine,
Check out the back issue November/December 2005 of Home Shop Machinist (they still sell them last I checked). That issue featured a nice 1.125" bore Stirling. I built a few of them and got them running. I've also seen several at shows. At NAMES 2007 one of them was powering a small crane.

Cheers,
Phil

Do you have pictures of the one you built?

Thanks
Eric

Eric,

I actually built 3 of them. Being new at all of this I tried various metals and cutting procedures. Learned a lot in the process.

3engsd.jpg

Nice work there, and a good idea trying different materials, it will give you a good insight into how various metal interact with each other.
I would suggest you spend an hour or two trolling thru Jan Ridders site, he is a member and I have found him very helpful. He explains the workings of the engines very well and has some nice downloads on there.

http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/

John

Back