Engine build

• Thread starter compound driver
  • Start date
Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

compound driver

Hi
Not had the time to write up another post for the boiler build so I thought id show what stage the engines at now. All up its just under four feet long and already tips the scales at 137lbs.

The boiler is infact finished just need to clean off the muck and do the hydraulic test. Il be posting another in the build series as soon as I can but for now a couple of pictures of the engine.

Cheers Kevin

bits.jpg

bits001.jpg

Kevin, that thing is looking GREAT! Keep us posted on the progress. One question, it's gaining weight real fast, are you working on the floor now or do you have a hoist to lift it with?

Looks great. I would like to do one of those someday. Keep us all posted as to how it is coming along.

HI Lugnut

The tender and horns are off most of the time at the moment so its not bad lifting it. Once the horns are on for good itl start living on a hydraulic table, kind of like a motorcycle lift but made from a pair of linked bottle jacks nicked from a AC matador tank recovery vehicle.
Im having a break from hard work this week going to machine the flywheel and weld up the rear T rings.

Thanks guys il keep it coming.

Cheers Kevin

I love the rivets...

This is quite a project. I've only seen the finished tractors before. I'm glad to be able to see one in progress.

HI

Ah the rivets theres a lot of em. The horns have 200 plus and the wheels something like 500. all in all theres a 1000 plus in the engine. The tenders held together with them and stays water tight with out sealer. have to love old technology.

Cheers Kevin

Hi Kevin,

is this beuty to be the 5000 hrs project ?

Congratulations,

George

Hello George
It is indeed the one. I would think about 5k hours by the time its fully finished and painted. The hind wheels are almost ready to go on having had the first coat of etch primer (yep even on iron and steel a zinc rich primmer helps).

Cheers kevin

This post is now closed, but there may be useful information contained within, so has been left in for your perusal.

Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back