• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Emco Maximat Super 11 w/mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denn

Reaction score
A friend has owned it for 30 years, the chip pan had about 2 qt. of chips in all of those years.
It needs a good cleaning. It has a 3 jaw chuck, 5C collet closer, vice, Aloris brand tool post, holders, tooling, 2speed single ph.
I need and idea how much it's worth. Shippensburg, PA. area

Attachments

• IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 1,514
I had one just like that. I really liked it. I've no idea how much it is worth now, but I can tell you that Hardinge HLVH lathes have dropped a lot. I'd rather have that than the Super 11, and an HLVH can be had for 3-5K. The milling head on the back of the bed is a mixed bag. Although you may think it will bring a premium, it is kind of like a selling a house with a swimming pool. They cost a lot to put in, but they do not really add any value to the house. Just my feeling though. If you find someone that wants the milling head there, then they are happy to pay more. But you have to find that person.

The good news some like mill with the lathe do to small work space and it is a gear head.
But will take time sell since a limited market.
I would clean the lathe/mill for too dollar and faster sale.
FYI the mill is likely #2 Morse.

Dave

I had one just like that. I really liked it. I've no idea how much it is worth now, but I can tell you that Hardinge HLVH lathes have dropped a lot. I'd rather have that than the Super 11, and an HLVH can be had for 3-5K. The milling head on the back of the bed is a mixed bag. Although you may think it will bring a premium, it is kind of like a selling a house with a swimming pool. They cost a lot to put in, but they do not really add any value to the house. Just my feeling though. If you find someone that wants the milling head there, then they are happy to pay more. But you have to find that person.

Last edited:
They are a very accurate lathe and strongly made (Austrian) 2000 rpm top speed ideal for making small parts. They had a good range of accessories too.
If it hasn't been stressed it would be a far better buy that any new Chinese equivalent. They made an X/Y mill base that you could remove the milling head and fit to the base. The last of them that I am aware of the price had risen to around $45,000 in AU. I purchased mine in 1980 for $2,500 brand new Wish i still had mine now. John.

In Europe the prices for a used Maximat Super 11 range from $ 2.000,- for a poor one to $ 8.500,- for top condition. The milling attachment is often seen as an annoying headbanger, but there must be some people who like it. I suggest a good clean and start at $ 5.000,- .

There was a Maximat 11 lathe here in the states locally for sale about 50 miles from me {no mill}, I rushed to phone but it was sold very fast.
I did find a Myford ML7 later. I was looking for a small lathe I could use in the house, the South Bend 13 is in the unheated garage.

The 11 is not exactly a large lathe, but it isn't small either. My personal opinion is that you would have to have a *really* accepting spouse to get agreement on moving a Super 11 into the house! My wife is pretty generous with my odd requests, but I know her limits. I'd *never* get that guy inside! I *might* be able to get a Sherline... I picked up a fully stocked Lorch LAS lathe years ago as a package with a bunch of Levin stuff. It was priced in a way that I could sell the Levin stuff off and keep the Lorch. That is a nice sized small lathe, but I've still not dared bring it inside. Of course, right now even I couldn't. My kids have moved back home and we have no room. Fun (generally) having them around, but.... no room.

Quote "My personal opinion is that you would have to have a *really* accepting spouse to get agreement on moving a Super 11 into the house! My wife is pretty generous with my odd requests, but I know her limits. I'd *never* get that guy inside."

Yes I think your right about getting the lathe in the house, I never did see the Maximat 11 lathe up close but I do have the catalog for one..

A friend has owned it for 30 years, the chip pan had about 2 qt. of chips in all of those years.
It needs a good cleaning. It has a 3 jaw chuck, 5C collet closer, vice, Aloris brand tool post, holders, tooling, 2speed single ph.
I need and idea how much it's worth. Shippensburg, PA. area
Apparently you are selling it, I lookt for a previous post but did not spot it. What have you decided on? I mean for a price?

I have the best spouse in the world for putting up with my machine shops.
I have been collecting machines for 50 years.

In the basement; Logan 10 inch lathe with all the goodies, Delta Toolmaker Surface grinder, Rong Fu Vertical mill, small bench top drill press (USA made-oldie), Wilton metal cutoff handsaw, Sherline Lathe and miller (destined for my last 2 grandchildren - with lots of extras.

In my outdoor, heated wood shop; a near mint Atlas 10 inch lathe, Delta 14" bandsaw, Walker Turner Drill Press with speed reducer setup, Delta Drill Press with speed reducer setup, DeWalt table saw, Ryobe table saw, Delta portable planer, spindle shaper, 6 inch sander, 18 inch power feed sander, about 5 or 6 routers, many more hand held power tools.

Finally, on display at Battery Gunnison at NPS Gateway National Park; WW2 era machines Atlas lathe (rescraped by me), Atlas Horizontal Milling Machine, Atlas 7 inch shaper, and a Delta Drill Press. I belong to a historic group and we are rebuilding the Battery. Come visit if you are in the area.

Best of all, my wife and I will be married 50 years in December. I am a very lucky guy!

Well, it came home with me.
I'm going over it, going to change the gear oil, iso 46, need to make a gasket for top gear head cover.
I'll be looking for a study rest, carriage stop, set of change gears and maybe 30 tooth gear.
I can't believe the apron doesn't run in oil.
I have a Shooting Star CBX (late 90's) read out, new in box never open that I might install.
Would I sell it...maybe...I'd have to give some of the money to my friend.

Attachments

• IMG_4259.JPG
    IMG_4259.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_4254.JPG
    IMG_4254.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 576
Congratulations.... You will enjoy the machine. I really liked mine when I had it; it is one of the things that I regret having sold, although I ended up with a very nice machine too.

Many years ago I wanted to buy the same machine-new. However, it was out of my price range. It would be great in a space limited shop.
I did visit the importerts (American Edalstall) warehouse in Bergen County NJ. I saw the machine in person (it was very nice) and even a CNC machine they were thinking of importing. Nice memory.

Grizzly is selling it as a South Bend Heavy 10, but they don't sell parts for it.

That lathe is a copy of the Emco Maximat Super 11

Grizzly is selling it as a South Bend Heavy 10, but they don't sell parts for it.

That lathe is a copy of the Emco Maximat Super 11
Sounds like grizzled
But did not copy south bend

Dave

This is a picture of a South Bend Heavy 10 as made in 1967. Nothing like the China made item.

Attachments

• South Bend Heavy 10 in 1967.JPG
    South Bend Heavy 10 in 1967.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 464

Latest posts

Back