Emco 8.6 switch needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robj.brown

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can source a new Jeanreanaud switch for my Emco 8.6 lathe, I just need the one switch not the entire switch assy.
Thanks
[email protected]
Rob:

Never heard of that manufacture!

By switch are you referring to a contact block on a modular switch assembly? If so i hate to inform you but in industry we usually have to upgrade the entire switch assembly due to many of the modular switches being replaced by new designs over the years. There are several hole standards so determining the hole size is the first order of business. Then you need to determine the logic the switch implements (important for selectors). For example 22mm is a popular bore for industrial switches.

If 22mm; Telemacinique sp? and Allen Bradley have good quality switches for the larger 32 mm Allen Bradley is probably the best bet. For the sizes below 22mm there are a couple of excellent Japanese brands.

In any event your best bet is a switch upgrade to widely available parts.

I hope you are luckier than me , the switch on my Emcomat 7 went kaput , burned out contacts . I could not source a replacement for the switch or for the complete assembly.
The alternative is to redesign the whole thing using available contactors and fit into an external box.
The switches are a let down on this high quality machine and for electrical engineers they comprise a block of four switches with functions motor on/off , a 1200/2400 rpn switch and a forward /reverse switch.
In addition there is a motor switch for the optional milling attachment.
The block fits into a recess in the headstock giving easy access.
Dan.

Thank you for your reply, there is a guy who has a company Nilesmachines, who has a complete assy, for sale but he wants stupid price $350 euro for the switches which is more then I paid for the entire machine.

I would look for a motorised treadmill , remove the motor and speed control and fit them to the lathe .
Here in the UK it is possible to get a used treadmill for £40 -£50 , gets your lathe up and running quite cheaply.
Incidentally it was the motor on/off switch that broke on my machine , not suprising as this gets most use.
I carried out temporary repair by taking the contacts out of the milling switch which was unused and fitting them into the motor switch.
A bit fiddly but do-able.
Dan.

I would look for a motorised treadmill , remove the motor and speed control and fit them to the lathe .
Here in the UK it is possible to get a used treadmill for £40 -£50 , gets your lathe up and running quite cheaply.
Incidentally it was the motor on/off switch that broke on my machine , not suprising as this gets most use.
I carried out temporary repair by taking the contacts out of the milling switch which was unused and fitting them into the motor switch.
A bit fiddly but do-able.
Dan.
yes I may have to change the entire switch idea

Hi Rob,
Are you a member of the Emco Lathes group? If so ask there, very helpful bunch of guys. This is an ongoing issue with these lathes espeacilly the push button ones. There is a replacement, home done, for those, I can’t say I’ve seen one for your switch but somebody will point you in the right direction.

Cheers Kerrin

Hi Rob,
Are you a member of the Emco Lathes group? If so ask there, very helpful bunch of guys. This is an ongoing issue with these lathes espeacilly the push button ones. There is a replacement, home done, for those, I can’t say I’ve seen one for your switch but somebody will point you in the right direction.

Cheers Kerrin
Thanks Kerrin, no didn't know about them, but I will check right away

I have one for you, it comes from an emco 7.
I have him because the electric motor it's burnt and I have converted it to a VFD.
IMG_20180613_163834848.jpg
IMG_20180613_163825995.jpg

I bought the entire switch assembly from Florus, it is in the mail as I am writing this. So happy
Thank you to all who helped :)

Latest posts

Back