Elmers Standby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefang

Reaction score
Today i begann building the "Standby" ( http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/19_standby.pdf ) It looks like a simple machine to build, but the hard part for me are the imperial measurements, because i am used to work in metrics, my trusty calculator will be my best friend during this project :)

Today i got started with the frame, which i cut out of 10mm aluminum plate with the bandsaw and milled it to size, the drilling has been done on the milling machine.

DSC00120.jpg

Drilling the hole for the crankshaft bearing

DSC00123.jpg

Drilling the steam channel, 2mm drill, ~35mm deep, took a while to do this...drill a few millimetres, retract the drill, brush of the chips, lubricate, drill a few millimetres

next time i try to take some better pictures :)

Stefan

Back from the workshop, finished another part, the cylinder, the plan recommends to use "hard" aluminum, but i went with brass...looks much nicer :)

P1010001.JPG

milling the profile for the cylinder (three sides in one setup, just swiveled the vise)

P1010002.JPG

milling the bevels (same setup, swiveled the vise for 45deg.)

after that, i cut it to lengt, and milled the remaining sides square. The machining of the bore has been done on the lathe, the cylinder hold in the 4jaw chuck, using a small boring bar.

some drilling and tapping, and thats the result so far:
P1010003.JPG

(The flash of the camera makes it look much rougher than it is in real)

Polishing will be done, when the whole machine is finished.

:)

Stefan

hey stefang..........very nice looking engine you are building 8) , i really like the look/style of the engine.

i just downloaded the plans.

i think when i get a few jobs done and out of the way i will build one of them myself.
i have very few steam or air engines and this will be a nice piece to add to my collection ;D

you are certainly right about the flash making the parts look rougher than they really are.
i posted some pictures of a carburetor that i'm making for a hit and miss gas engine and the pictures make the carb look real bad !!!

keep up the good work and the pictures sure add to the story about the build!!!!

chuck

Nice work Stefan. Thanks for posting the pictures. :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Looking good Stefan!

I'm a BIG Elmer fan.
I've built just about every engine in the book.

Great work!

Rick

Thank you, guys :)

If i had to start building this engine again, i would increase it's size by two or three...everyting on it is so small :D

Not much progress today, turned the bearing and lapped the bore, turned four screws M3x14mm out of leaded steel, because the head of normal screws looks to fat...just need to mill the slot for the screwdriver...tomorrow

Stefan

Here is a picture of the machine in its present status:

P1010010.JPG

The crankshaft is built in two pieces, hold together by loctite and finished afterwards. The flywheel is not finished yet, it needs a setscrew and some optical work.
I also finished machining the casting for the base, but the machine needs still to be screwed down to it.

Stefan

Its finished and running ;D

P1010014.JPG

P1010015.JPG

the finish is ok for me, i'm more interested in function :)

I can adjust the speed with the needle valve in the background from around 200rpm up to a few 1000rpm, but at high rpms it starts to jump accross the table...

Maybe i will post a video in the next days.

:)
Stefan

Looks Great!

I'm looking forward to the running video!

Rick

Back