Elmers Single Cylinder Compound Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefang

Reaction score
Hello, I'm back again, building a new little steam engine :)

This time it will be Elmers Single Cylinder Compound Engine:

Here is a picture of the current status:

5.jpg

The base is aluminum, the bearings are brass, the crank, crankshaft and the bearing supports are steel. The screws are made from toolsteel.

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

nice to met you anywhere in world (wide & web :) )

also nice to see you're doing on steam ... (don't knew until yesterday ..)
a lot of success on it

Frank

Hi,

Always a pleasure to meet you, Frank ;D
*Plopp* (the sound of a bottle beer opened)

I did some progress with my engine:

Boring the cylinder:
10.jpg

Milling the valve out of a scrap piece of cast iron:
8.jpg

(As i have no digital readout on my mill, i have to write the coordinates down, in this case on the vise...)

Work done in the last days:
9.jpg

Stefan

I'm a wee bit confused as to how a single cylinder engine can be a compound. Help me out here...(grin)

It's looking real good from here...

Steve

Typically a compound engine would feed from one cylinder to another. Fascinating idea, feeding the steam from one end of a single cylinder to the other. I hadda ask....LOL Elmer was quite the genius. Thanks Rick

Steve

Nice work Stefan. Looks like you're making some good progress. Thanks for posting your work. I like the concept of this engine and will be looking forward to your final result.

Cheers,
Phil

Thank you, guys :)

Posting pictures in this forum and getting answers is very motivating :)

Brian Rupnow said:
Very nice work Stefan. Those bearing stands look kind of familiar ;D ;D---Brian

Hehe, Yes, a bit ;D

And again, some progress:

The eccentric rod (Hot rolled steel):

Boring to size:
13.jpg

Milled the contour
17.jpg

After that, I hacksawed everything away, that wasnt part of the eccentric rod, loctited it to an arbor and chucked it on the round table:
14.jpg

Then i heated it to loosen the loctite:
16.jpg

15.jpg

The other side has still to be finished :)

Stefan

I am not much on steam but I understand the principle of compound engines. My question is, will a compound steam engine run on air?

Hi Stan,

I see no reason, why it should not run on compressed air ???

Stefan

stefang: The reason for my question is that the second cylinder in a compound engine uses the heat in the steam discharged from the high pressure cylinder. I don't think that compressed air will react the same. The high pressure end will certainly run on air but I am wondering if you get any power out of the low pressure end. Can you comment on that?

Hello Stan,

hmmm, i dont think, that the high/low pressure thing works with compressed air, but the engine will run:

[ame]http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul3cy8BeCSI[/ame]

Until now, there arent any seals, because of that, air (and oil) blows out everywhere, but its running (not very well, but its running) ;D

Stefan

Stefan,

Congratulations, a great engine. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thank you, guys :)

Today, i finished the machine, did a little polish (not really :D ) and added the seals:

19.jpg

20.jpg

looking forward for the next project and my new lathe :big:

Stefan

Congratulations!! nice realization...
Cheers
Paolo

Stefan :bow: :bow: :bow:

Very nice job on that engine and very fast building it. Between you and Brian I'm not sure who is the fastest. LOL

Looking forward to your next project.

cheers

Don

Latest posts

Back