Elmer's Pumping Engine #17

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inky Engines

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Just finished this one - the 15th of Elmer's Engines to be completed here at Inky Engines - this one took a little longer than most of the previous builds.

I gave up early any hopes of emulating Stan Shire's build in the glamour and innovation stakes! This one therefore I consider to be an example of 'understated practicality'. To avoid any need to polish a fancy brass ladder and railings they're painted black! To aid maintenance and adjustment the rails are just pressed lightly as completed units into the catwalk and engine floor. And, as usual, Elmer's fiddly con-rod and valve pins are threaded and fitted with Nylock nuts.

Mineral oil rather than water is pumped to keep the plungers lubricated, and with the pump under load it will run on about 8 psi.

Hope you enjoy the video.

[ame="http://youtu.be/O8hj7Mmeic0"]http://youtu.be/O8hj7Mmeic0[/ame]

I'm really not sure what the next one is going to be, perhaps another Elmer, or I've been considering a 1" scale LC Mason Minnie traction engine - got the book, just need the courage to make a start!

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Great engine and great video. Thanks for sharing Geoff

Geoff
Bravo! As usual, it's a beauty. Meticulous craftsmanship. Thanks for the shoutout, but if I hadn't gotten the PMR Boiler kit, I'd probably still be fiddling with the pumper.

Thank you all for the feedback, as always greatly appreciated.

I've still not firmly decided on the next project. I attempted to take a photograph of all the Elmer's yesterday, and it really is difficult now to get them sensibly in the same frame - also my wife has suffered all the models to date being displayed at various locations around the home, but I think more may be pushing her good will! I'm therefore tending towards the 1" scale Minnie traction engine - the 3000 hours said to be needed mean that this will take as long as all the projects to date combined. I think I'll start with the boiler - see how that goes, and take it from there.....

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Great job!

Always a pleasure to see those Elmer's engines.

Latest posts

Back