Elmer's plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you buy the book rather than use copies of the drawings it's all in there.

Elmer Verburg was a prolific small engine designer and builder in times when the majority of model engine builders' workshops were quite basic. His designs reflected the difficulty of very accurate measurement.

If you download Elmer's designs from John Tom Elmers Engines Steam Engine Plans
scroll down the page and the last item is the Appendix. In there you will find a whole host of information including what the circled letters indicate.

In the UK, the model engine designer and builder LBSC used descriptions like 1/8" full to describe a running fit for a shaft, or 1/8" bare to indicate a tight fit for two mating parts for the same reason.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Really nice collection. Oof though, you wonder how many of the original copies are forgotten in attics or thrift stores. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a hard copy.

Those working drawings are nice. In the US, balloons would typically be interpreted as BOM callouts and flag notes would point to a list of text or an appendix. *Edit: Was looking through my Spitty drawings and balloons go to parts. Rev triangles are the same. Notes are typically written on the drawing instead. Doesn't matter to me, other than it's interesting to see different styles.

"In the UK, the model engine designer and builder LBSC used descriptions like 1/8" full to describe a running fit for a shaft, or 1/8" bare to indicate a tight fit for two mating parts for the same reason "

@deverett Do you know of a good source defining UK machining lingo like the class fit definitions you mentioned?
Callouts.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks deverett. I've been on that site quite a few times, but never saw that link to the appendix. Must be going blind in my old age. But thanks again.

Regarding copies of Elmer's Engines, I asked my local library for a copy and they were able to get one through an inter-library loan. I was able to copy the plans that I wanted and be sure of the quality of the copy. It took my library about three weeks to obtain a copy.

Latest posts

Back