Elmer's Geared #5

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weez

Project Of The Month Winner
Reaction score
Here is my completed Elmer's Geared steam engine. It is my sixth Elmer's engine. It runs very well on little air. I can even run it on breath power. The build thread can be found here.

CIMG5024.jpg

CIMG5025.jpg

CIMG5026.jpg

CIMG5027.jpg

Very cool! I like the sound. It seems different from many other air operated engines,

Cheers,
Phil

Great looking and runner.

Dave

P.s. Don't feel bad on the reverse build. I build my upshur farm backwards.

Excellent job and a very cool engine. I feel like I almost have to add that to my must build list but I fear it's already longer than my remaining lifespan...

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Great looking and runner.

Dave

P.s. Don't feel bad on the reverse build. I build my upshur farm backwards.

Dave, I'd like to say that I intentionally built it this way but I countersunk the wrong side of the base. This ended up being the biggest (actually only) mistake on this build, so I can't complain.

Weez

I've followed this build throughout - very impressive. I particularly like the 'unique' flywheel design, and the engine's superb slow running capability.

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Weez
Great job. The smooth, slow speed running shows how well it's built. You can make pretty much any crappy build run if you give it enough air. Bravo!
I know how touchy the gear alignment is from building Bill Reichart's Epicyclic. The spur gear that revolves inside the internal tooth gear is the major source of binding with these. There is one position where is moves perfectly and about a thousand where it doesn't.
Great job!

Thank you Geoff and Stan for the compliments. This engine is by far my best runner. I anticipated possibly having binding issues with the gears so I made a jig to hold everything in alignment when attaching the gear arm to the rotating gear. This ensured that the teeth would mesh perfectly once the engine was assembled.

Back