Elmer's Geared #5

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the gear arm.

CIMG4984.jpg

CIMG4985.jpg

CIMG4986.jpg

CIMG4988.jpg

CIMG4994.jpg

CIMG4995.jpg

Weez...I like the approach you took with this part. Much simpler than how I did it. Thanks for posting these pics...great progression of a great engine build.

Thanks Vascon, glad you are enjoying the build.

Here are the two pack nuts. There aren't many parts left to make. Hopefully I will have a runner this weekend.

CIMG4997.jpg

CIMG4998.jpg

CIMG4999.jpg

CIMG5000.jpg

Here is the eccentric, valve nut, spacers, and piston rod screw. I did an inventory of the parts and all that is left is the flywheel and modifying the two purchased gears.

CIMG5002.jpg

I here is the orbiting gear. I didn't want to clamp on the teeth of the gear so I bored a hole in a aluminum block the same size as the OD of the gear, cut a slit in it, and clamped it in the four jaw chuck.

CIMG5004.jpg

CIMG5006.jpg

CIMG5008.jpg

Here is how I drilled the holes in the internal gear. I turned a boss the same size as the ID of the gear, centered on a square piece of aluminum. I clamped the piece in the mill vise, and used an edge finder the locate the center. After clamping the gear on the fixture, I used my digital readouts to locate the holes.

CIMG5013.jpg

CIMG5014.jpg

I usually don't deviate from the plans much, but I wanted to do something different with the flywheel as the plans have the same flywheel as my grasshopper. Here is what I came up with. I got the idea for how to hold the stock in the lathe to turn the OD from someone on this forum but I can't remember who. It works great provided you don't take too deep of cut.

I now have all the parts made. I still need to polish them up a little before assembly. This is my least favorite job but I don't get too crazy with a high polish. I just knock off the machining marks. I don't know how Rivergypsy gets such a good polish without going insane.

CIMG5009.jpg

CIMG5010.jpg

CIMG5012.jpg

CIMG5015.jpg

CIMG5016.jpg

CIMG5017.jpg

CIMG5019.jpg

Weez, I have been out for a while and fell behind on a lot going on here sure did miss this group, going through to catch up, really like your build and the photo's explanations, great another one to save to file and hope to do someday, thanks for the time it takes to photo, write the article and post, appreciate.
Lathe Nut

Great progress, I am really enjoying this thread :) keep up the good work :)

Thank you everyone for the compliments. It is good to know that people are enjoying the build. I have about half of the pieces polished. Hopefully I will finish it this weekend, although I think I said the same thing last week.

I got all of the polishing done. Here is a picture of all the parts. When starting to make an engine there seems to be so many parts. Once they are all made there seems to be so few. I should have a runner by the end of the day.

CIMG5022.jpg

Looks good Weez. Can't wait to see it running.

The flywheel blows me away. Was that a CNC job?

Cheers,
Phil

Weez, I really like your engine , Also really like the flywheel. Thank you for the good description of build and the great pictures

Looks good Weez. Can't wait to see it running.

The flywheel blows me away. Was that a CNC job?

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks Phil. The flywheel was done on a rotary table, no CNC. Check out post #27 to see how I did it.

Weez, I really like your engine , Also really like the flywheel. Thank you for the good description of build and the great pictures

Thank you Larry. I am glad you are enjoying the build. As my confidence grows, so does my willingness to share what I am doing. Being relatively new here, at first I was intimidated by the very talented members and their amazing builds. I soon found that there was no reason to be intimidated. Some of the best machinists on here are very willing and eager to help beginners with simple problems. I have only seen friendliness and positivity throughout this forum which is definitely not the norm on the internet these days.

I did get the engine all assembled and it runs great. I am even able to run it with breath power. I will get some pics later today.

Week
Beautifully done! Love the flywheel.
Maybe you can give up a few tips about rounding the ends of parts on the rotary table. I always seem to go a bit too far at the end. I'm very careful about watching the numbers on the table but can't seem to get it perfect.
Thanks

weez, looks great, it really come out nice, you right they got a lot of fellows here that are good and they share that is the most wonderful part, one could look at a picture but its a whole another to show and tell us about the build and gosh the best parts are the diagrams, so thanks for the show and tell.
Lathe Nut

Latest posts

Back