Elmer's #41 1st attempt

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff02

Reaction score
This will be my First attempt to build an engine from Scratch, it looked as though Elmer’s 41 would be the perfect choice, and I guess will see.
I started with the Cylinder about 6 months ago, and have since moved. I spent 2 hours this morning looking for my Rotary Table, once found I started again. This is what I have so far.

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252-1.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

Found a piece of Cast Iron for the front and back covers.

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

And this is what I have for todays work.

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

I’ve been lurking for a while and never contributed to this site, so here it is.
Thanks for looking!

Now to order some more stock!

I'd say you're coming along nicely on your first engine. A lot done for one day's work, too!

Dean

Looking good Jeff. You gotta love the ability to center the rotary table and then screw the lathe chuck to it with a fair degree of accuracy. Looking forward to more of your progress.

Bill

Looks like you are off to a good start. Couldn't help but notice the loco frame in the background. Was that done on the sherline too?

hitandmissman said:
Looks like you are off to a good start. Couldn't help but notice the loco frame in the background. Was that done on the sherline too?

The loco in the Background is the start of a Little Engines 0-4-0 1" Tank Engine

http://www.littleengines.com/1Inch Tank Engine.html

This engine was started when I had bigger Equipment ( Enco 9x19 Lathe and 2hp Mill/Drill )But after moving the Sherline Lath and Mill were all that were left.

Jeff. Sorry to hear that you larger equipment couldn't be brought along. Maybe some day you can replace it and get back to your locomotive. It looks like you have a good start on it.

In the mean time you have a lot of good, but smaller projects to choose from in Elmer's collection of plans alone.

Good luck with you build of the #41, and keep us up to date on your progress.

-Rick

Elmers line up!
This is what I have in mind

1st #41
2nd #33
3rd #42

And at some point finish this Stuart 10h.

IMG_0299-1.jpg

Back to Elmer’s 41, I just ordered $60+ dollars of stock from Speed’s; let’s see if he’s as fast as he says he is. I should have it before the weekend.

WOW there’s a lot of Elmer’s going on. :bow:

Update for my little engine.
Floor, Sub-Base, and Base rough cut to length
Cylinder feet complete
Lower crosshead guides started

It’s beginning to look like something, just not too sure what.

IMG_0572.jpg

Jeff02 said:

Jeff,

I'm sure, it's beginning to look like a very nice engine. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Jeff02 said:
WOW there’s a lot of Elmer’s going on. :bow:

Update for my little engine.
Floor, Sub-Base, and Base rough cut to length
Cylinder feet complete
Lower crosshead guides started

Hi Jeff, Your project is coming along nice, and the parts you made look really good! :bow:

Your being silly! Your building Elmer's #41 and that's what it looks like to me! :big:

Hey, I love the look of the brass hex head bolts. where did ya get them... come on, you can tell me... please... Purty please..

I'm not sure.. but I might have started all this madness, by making the 'Building of Elmer's engines' fashionable. ;D

Keep up the good work! I'm pull in for ya!

-MB

Jeff, great looking engine parts. I like the contrasting metals. Thanks for posting, you did a lot in a day

Cheers,
Phil

Metal Butcher said:
Hi Jeff, Your project is coming along nice, and the parts you made look really good! :bow:

Your being silly! Your building Elmer's #41 and that's what it looks like to me! :big:

Hey, I love the look of the brass hex head bolts. where did ya get them... come on, you can tell me... please... Purty please..

I'm not sure.. but I might have started all this madness, by making the 'Building of Elmer's engines' fashionable. ;D

Keep up the good work! I'm pull in for ya!

-MB

The Hex Bolts came for Miniature screws & Fasteners
http://www.jimorrisco.com/index/group/id/10

Thanks for the kind words!

Calling it quits for tonight.
I just need to profile this bearing support, and I just couldn’t stand the thought of a steel shaft turning in bare aluminum so I put a brass bushing in it.

IMG_0574.jpg

Jeff

My version of Elmer's #41. Made some changes and added some detail.

Keep up the nice work.

Tom

cover2.jpg

enginemaker1 said:
Jeff

My version of Elmer's #41. Made some changes and added some detail.

Keep up the nice work.

Tom

Tom, the Engine looks Great. The pattern on the Valve and piston cover is unique and looks cool.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,
Your engine is coming along nicely. Nice fit on that bearing.
Dennis

A piece of 1018 steel and 2 hours later this is what I have.
IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

I applaud your attention to details Jeffro', the edging on that conrod is quite the treat. Keep up the photos of your progress please. Thm:

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back