Elmer's #30

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignalFailure

Reaction score
Here's my progress on Elmer's 'Opposed' #30. Just need to make steam connection, flywheel, finish crankshaft/valve and replace all those temporary fasteners!

eo1.jpg

eo2.jpg

eo3.jpg

No milling facilities here just a lathe and lots of filing so it's not as 'polished' as most engines on this forum ;P

EDIT: Oh yeah, you'll notice I used different materials (and converted to metric!) - all brass and steel.

for a guy with no mill you are doing better then some who have a mill (myself included)!!!
very nice workman ship :bow:
i have never seen this style of engine before.........are the plans on line or in a book ???

chuck

Chuck,

That is one of Elmer's engines. You can find the plans HERE. You can get all the plans from HERE.

Eric

Nice engine SF .

It is very unusual (to me anyway!) I would like to see it run, are you making a video once you have completed the 'list' ? ;D

BTW the polishing I do is done using my lathe and is achieved after using files,emery tape and wet'n'dry first. Depending on the finish achieved on the lathe/mill (it is not always as good as I hoped!)

If you want to know more try

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm (link courtesy of Mr standard)

It should tell you most of what you could use?

Ralph.

Like I said Paul, gawd elp us when you get a Glen.
Regards Ian

Looking very good 8) ............. great work

CC

G'day Paul.

A great job, as others have said. :bow:

When you get it going and get tired of it you could turn it into an Atkinson cycle with a single crank, how about it? :D

Regards
Ian (nuther one)

This is an interesting engine. I wonder how well it will run? You are doing a great job on it, by the way. You should be proud!

Wes

SF,

That is a lovely piece of work.

You have shown that a hacksaw and file CAN be used instead of a mill.

Very well done, hope it runs as good as it looks.

John

Thanks all for the kind words :eek:, it's a great encouragement!

Getting a little closer as the crankshaft/valve is now finished - can't wait to see if it'll run.

Thanks again

Paul

Great website! I like the way you used the buttons to shape the parts. Many people have no Idea what they even are let alone how to use them.

Again, Great gob!!!

Wes

Thanks Wes, glad you liked the site (.... that's also 'work in progress' at the moment while I move stuff over from my previous site).

I'm having trouble getting this one to run :( I think it's to do with the valve setting. I'm not sure that the illustrated setting is right but I've tried pretty much all the variations and it doesn't want to go. If anyone is familiar with this engine or could look at the plans or just generally offer any advice I'd appreciate it.

TIA

Paul.

Latest posts

Back