Elmers #13 twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compressor man

Reaction score
Here is my version of Elmers #13 twin with poppet valves. Whew, I never thought I would finish this one!!

Chris

100_1379.JPG

100_1380.JPG

Nicely done! Multi-throw crankshafts are always a challenge, and adding cams and valves to it... lots of work involved!

Nice looking engine. I agree on finishing an engine. You can get it to where it looks like an engine pretty quickly, but all the fiddly bits needed to actually make it run takes an eternity!

Chuck

Thanks for the replies guys, and yes it did take an eternity to make. What I found most "fiddly" of all was one of the poppet type valves. For some reason I was never able to get it to seat/seal completely. With the design of the engine there is no exhaust valve. Therefore when either piston is on its way up it is actually compressing. If you have a valve that is leaking slightly (as I do) there can be a moderate resistance on one of the pistons while it is moving back up. Regardless of this the engine still runs fine (there is a video of it in the video forum) but it does not have much power as a result.

Chris

Back