Elmer Wall Inline four cylinder plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few pictures of that engine. When found, there was only the crankcase, crankshaft, conrod, piston and cylinder present. I spent nearly 8 hours over the course of 3 days digging through boxes, buckets and shelves of randomly organized (disorganized) priceless artifacts (rusty junk) in order to find the parts that I was able to find. The same was the case with the inline four cylinder engine. This one originally came with both a water cooled cylinder (currently present on the engine) and an aircooled cylinder which I was also able to find.
thumbnail_20200404_170128.jpg
thumbnail_20200404_175033.jpg
thumbnail_20200404_175040.jpg

Yes, that would be wonderful!
I am going to look for any of the Wall plans available, and then clean them up like I did these 4 cyl plans.
Ask him if he would be willing to lend the plans for 2 weeks. I promise to handle them carefully, and return them promptly.
(If you can get a good copy off them, that would be great, but if not, I would rather borrow them. )
I myself am very bad at computers, BUT, I am close friends with a guy at the local blueprint place, and he is the one who actually cleans up my prints. I take him a LOT of prints, as I work on a lot of antique cars, and some of them are nearly unreadable. He works with them on the computer to clean them up, then prints me a sample copy to see how they look, and then I tell him to go ahead, or just skip it. But I have only had 1 drawing in the last 5 years that he could not clean up to look like new. (I asked him once if the work for me wasn't a PITA, and his response was he would rather do work on my prints than any of the regular stuff they do there, because my prints are always really interesting.) He is exceptionally skilled, and unlike the gum-chewing teenage girls at most copy places, he is actually motivated to do a good job, as he loves old machinery.
Wait until you get your copies of the Wall plans, and you will see what I mean.
I would, of course, send both you and him a fresh copy of the cleaned-up plans, along with getting the originals back.
Kind regards;
Bill
Well I can't imagine he would have an issue with that. I will talk to him about it in the next day or two, if you haven't heard from me in regards to this issue by about Wednesday you may need to send me a reminder. My mind sometimes wanders off somewhere and someone has to go find it. ;)
Scotty68

Here are a few pictures of that engine. When found, there was only the crankcase, crankshaft, conrod, piston and cylinder present. I spent nearly 8 hours over the course of 3 days digging through boxes, buckets and shelves of randomly organized (disorganized) priceless artifacts (rusty junk) in order to find the parts that I was able to find. The same was the case with the inline four cylinder engine. This one originally came with both a water cooled cylinder (currently present on the engine) and an aircooled cylinder which I was also able to find. View attachment 115546View attachment 115547View attachment 115548
Thanks for putting up the pics! If you had just sent them to me, I doubt I would have been able to open them. That looks like a very nice engine! Also, typical WALL styling. His engines are pretty distinctive by his style of engineering. Also, they all seem to have a great reputation for running well. (Edgar T. Westbury used to say that his initials stood for "Engines That Run!") and Elmer Wall was the same type of engineer.

Well I can't imagine he would have an issue with that. I will talk to him about it in the next day or two, if you haven't heard from me in regards to this issue by about Wednesday you may need to send me a reminder. My mind sometimes wanders off somewhere and someone has to go find it. ;)
Scotty68
Well, why don't you wait until your Wall plans arrive, and then show him how they come out. If he can see the results, he might be more willing to send his plans off to someone he has never even met, who makes big claims.

Well, why don't you wait until your Wall plans arrive, and then show him how they come out. If he can see the results, he might be more willing to send his plans off to someone he has never even met, who makes big claims.
Fair enough, but his trust will be placed in me, cuz I will be the one held responsible if anything happens to them. : ) I'll wait for your plans, I am sure they will be fine.
Scotty68

Hi Bill:
I wish I could find which old Sci. & Mech. Mag's had his engines in them as I have some that I need to check out.
I remember seeing some in the past. Also his ad. What type of Carburetor did he use?
Thanks for posting!
Bill Thomas
Stuck inside in Michigan, USA

Hi Bill:
I wish I could find which old Sci. & Mech. Mag's had his engines in them as I have some that I need to check out.
I remember seeing some in the past. Also his ad. What type of Carburetor did he use?
Thanks for posting!
Bill Thomas
Stuck inside in Michigan, USA
The carb is unique to Wall engines. It looks like the one on the pictures posted above, but I don't know if that engine has an identical carb or not. The carb is really something, has it's own float chamber and fuel inlet needle, mixture control, throttle, and even a manually operated choke assembly. I suspect that he may have varied the holes for the fuel needle, inlet, etc, based on the engine size. (that is, all standard parts the same for each kit, just details different for different displacements and power levels) One person on here is trying to get me a set of Wall Wizard drawings, and I am hoping I can compare the carbs. Like the ETW drawings, I am pretty sure that the Wall carb is going to be a good running device. I am surprised more people don't use it for other engines, as I am sure Elmer Wall spent a LOT of time experimenting to get everything correct.
If you might have any Wall drawings for any Wall engines, or you are able to find any or borrow any from friends, I would really like to borrow them to compare them, and get them together as a group. Like I said above, I will handle them carefully, and return them promptly, along with a copy of the cleaned up drawing that came off of them.

Latest posts

Back