Elmer' #33 - Yet another mill engine - DONE

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still working on my Gade, Farm Boy, Stirling Engine, Upshur Vertical, Flame Eater, several Phil Duclos engines, and other assorted shop projects. One of these days I may finish something! I sure do enjoy talking about them though!
cheepo45

Glad I'm not the only one with more than a dozen started but unfinished projects. My problem is that when I get to a place where I am stuck on how to cdo it, the current project gets put to one side and I start another easier job to build up confidence again.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Stan,

Not sure where to post this, but here goes.

Since there has been a rash of interest in Elmer's 33, especially since your build, I am contemplating starting that engine. Do you think it could be built at 150% size?

I think it might be interesting, especially to the grandkids, with a 4.5-inch flywheel and everything else upscaled about that amount. I lack a lot of experience doing stuff like that, but I think I might be able to undertake this.

Do you or anyone else have any input regarding this idea?

--ShopShoe

Looks great and runs nicely.

Not intending criticism; just curious. Is it a video anomaly or does it really slow down at one spot? I was watching it and wondering if it was binding in one spot or if the valve timing could be tweaked a little? When the crank pin is at the back (farthest away from the cylinder) it looks like it slows. It doesn't look to be slowing down the same way at the other end of stroke. Am I seeing something that isn't really there? Watching the cross head I don't really see it but watching the flywheel it appears to slow, so it may be video anomaly based on frame speed vs. spokes and the way they are reflecting light?

Paul

Last edited:
Shopshoe
I think it would be an easier build at 150%. To my mind, larger parts are easier to make. I did a Liney RV-1 at 200% and it was no problem.

Paul
It's the video. The engine (in person) runs very smoothly. I've seen this effect before. I always noticed, in the old Western movies, that the spokes on the stagecoach wheels appear to rotate backwards. That was due to the rotating shutter in film cameras.

Very nice runner Stan, and also gave me different slant on making a video, I bet that took a while. Very Prof

Les.

Thanks.
Actually fairly easy video to do.
I dumped the entire folder of build pix and a video clip into iMovie on the MacBook Pro. Did a title and clicked on make movie and upload to YouTube.

Hi ShopShoe

I'm currently building this engine at 150% with some mods to the original design. Not difficult at all, and you can add lots of details at this scale. Go for it.

Roberto

Thanks, Nemoc. Much appreciated. Runs on about 5 pounds. Ran perfectly at Cabin Fever. 8 hrs continuously.

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

Back