Elmer’s Open Column Twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackG

Reaction score
A month or so ago I was wondering what to build next. While thinking about it, I decided to clean out some old photography magazines. Stuck in the pile was a lone copy of the July 1983 Live Steam magazine with Elmer Verburg’s Open Column Twin on the cover. Someone was obviously trying to tell me something.

Turned out to be a very nice smoothly running engine on about 5 psi air.

Jack

Elmer\'sOpenColumnTwin.jpg

Where's the video Jack?

Pete

Nice work. The steam chest looks like it is one piece, no cover. Maybe just an illusion?

Edit: Old post, didn't notice....

Almost as pretty as mine! Kidding, beautiful work! It's good to see another one. I'm working on a pic.

A few of them have been built by members. Here's mine. Metal Butcher and mklotz have built some as well.

DSC04993.jpg

>>> The steam chest looks like it is one piece, no cover. Maybe just an illusion?

Yeah, it's one piece. I decided to do it that way just to be different.

Sorry, no build log or progress pictures (I'm too disorganized).

Troutsqueezer... Wow! That's a beautiful looking model. Great photography also.

Thanks,

Jack

Troutsqueezer said:
A few of them have been built by members. Here's mine. Metal Butcher and mklotz have built some as well.

DSC04993.jpg

You kidding me...that looks sweet!!!

If interested, link to video.

[ame]http://youtu.be/qu3jrq0j0Bs[/ame]

Edit: corrupted link, fixed.

Jack,
Glad to hear that you #44 runs as good as it looks.
I myself have been pondering on my next engine. With three wobbler's under my belt it is time to up the bar a bit. This one looks like the winner.
Alan

LOL, I love the video!

That is freaking hilarious....I just took a hammer to my Elbow Engine flywheel last night!!!

I goofed up on the rim and it was passed the point of no return....the hammer had to come down!

Either that or I launch the part as far as I can into the woods.

Chris

Wow! what a superb model; & the finish on it!! what is that, polished aluminium, chromed steel, or polished stainless... would love to know how you did that, especially if it is polished aluminium, for future ref.

Regards from across the pond.

George

The open column twin has always been one of my favorites of Elmer's engines. Yours is beautiful, really nice work.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back