Ellery V-Twin 100cc Design & Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbooth

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thought I would put progress to date of my own design engine V-Twin, all things going well she will be used for an RC plane I am building.
The engine specs so far are:
Type: V-Twin gas
Capacity: 100cc (2 x 50cc)
Stroke: 3.9cm
Bore: 4.0cm
Compression Ratio: 8.5
Ignition: Spark

I've been designing it in Autodesk Inventor which makes it really easy to take of plans and dimensions.

Capture2.JPG

Capture22.JPG

Looks good, but I'm curious why you picked a 90 deg. twin instead of a 180 deg. twin considering that the vibration of the 90 will be considerable and the 180 would be zero( assuming a 180 deg. crank)?

Looks good, but I'm curious why you picked a 90 deg. twin instead of a 180 deg. twin considering that the vibration of the 90 will be considerable and the 180 would be zero( assuming a 180 deg. crank)?
It's 90° V so technically has perfect primary balance, aka Ducati. Also I wanted a V to suit my plane design. The heads will stick out of the cowling.

That engine and your skills are perfect. If you should put together a drawing package, I would like to purchase a set from you. Great work!
Thanks,
Bruski

That engine and your skills are perfect. If you should put together a drawing package, I would like to purchase a set from you. Great work!
Thanks,
Bruski
Thanks Bruski. Plans are pretty much finished, but wouldn't like to release until I have finished mine and get it running. I occasionally find bits when I am machining that I need to make alterations to on the drawings.

Thanks!

I think I recognize the pilot in the airplane - that's "Mini-me," isn't it? (From the otherwise forgettable Austin Powers movies.)
close, it's actually Bruce Willis. I downloaded the file and 3D printed him

today I got the rear crank done. Found it really difficult to get a good finish on the EN16
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG

Also got the first piston sleeve done from Cast Iron, much easier to machine. Made an error by rushing and gouged a mark withdrawing the work piece. Fortunately it'll be well below the piston rings so should not affect anything.
IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

This is beautiful workmanship! Both engine and airplane are exquisitely executed. o_O

100cc? FYI, I took a 3rd place in my first motorcycle race in 1967 on a 60cc bike. I would’ve loved to have had those extra 40cc, not to mention having them in a V-Twin configuration!

You sir, are an artist!

John W

Amazing work and I'm loving the 'plane, just back into aeromodelling after a 45 year gap!

Latest posts

Back