Electroplating copper, nickel & zinc

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I am posting PDF files I have on plating
OIP.jpeg

This is a simple way of Plating from schools. It use Household chemistry.

Plating nickel, copper and zinc can be done at household chemicals.
One simplest is vinegar , power supply DC 3 to 12 volts and plating metal for making electrolyte in glass jar.
This done by using the Plating metal as both cathode (-) and anode (+) in white vinegar add salt to speed up making the electrolyte.
{Do Not put Anode and or Cathode power supply wire in the electrolyte this may change Plating color}
The electrolyte will change color for nickel and copper at less 30 minutes.
Zinc electrolyte does not change color try 45 minutes.

Now ready for Plating
Anode (+) for Plating metal
Cathode (-) for part being plated .
{Do Not put Anode power supply wire in the electrolyte this may change Plating color}

1) Metal being plated needs clean and grease free.
2) Then dip for a few minutes Muriatic Acid (pool supply's)
3) Rise off with clean water.
4) Place part in glass jar with electrolyte
5) Turn on DC power , Takes at least 45 minutes.
5A) (Larger the part being plated the longer the plating time)
6) Turn off power, remove part and clean
7) Seal electrolyte jar for next time.

Note: Need a jar of electrolyte for each metal.

Plating can be used for making name plates.
1) Clean the name plate metal for Plating.
2) Screen to print background color
3) Then dip for a few minutes Muriatic Acid (pool supply's)
4) Rise off with clean water.
5) plate same as above.

LIST OF MATERIAL NEED FOR PLATING.

1) Glass jar , some plastic may change plating color.
2) Power supply DC 6 to 12 volt (Battery charger), 3 volt battery will work.
3) Electric wire for hock up.
4) Wood dowl to hang part on
5) Plating metal (Copper, Nickel or Zinc)
6) White Cleaning Vinegar (White cooking vinegar works) AKA {Acetic acid}
7) Table salt
8) Two glass or plastic jars for last cleaning be for Plating
9) Muriatic Acid (pool supply's) AKA {Hydrochloric acid}
10) Tap water for cleaning.

Attachments

• 1Copper Plating.pdf
    240.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 1Nickel.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 238
  • 4 CopperPlating.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 210
  • 3CopperPlating.pdf
    240.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 2Copper-Plating.pdf
    655.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 2ZincPlating.pdf
    423.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 2Nickel-Plating.pdf
    648.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 1ZincPlating.pdf
    200.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Must check availability of Muriatic acid in the UK. Did you know the EU once tried to ban vinegar for human consumption? Both as a pickling fluid and condiment. Apparently, if you drink it to excess it can be harmful to health! Same applies for any food or drink... But common sense prevailed.... The UK left the EU!

Thanks for posting these, it is timely for me as I'm planning to do some plating soon.

Muriatic acid may call Hydrochloric acid. In the USA Muriatic/Hydrochloric acid is found for pool acid but it is used RX, bricks layers and concrete work.

Dave

Must check availability of Muriatic acid in the UK. Did you know the EU once tried to ban vinegar for human consumption? Both as a pickling fluid and condiment. Apparently, if you drink it to excess it can be harmful to health! Same applies for any food or drink... But common sense prevailed.... The UK left the EU!

You can put the alligator clip on part being plated. Plating companies use copper wire.

You should not put alligator clip (Anode +) in solution holding (nickel, copper or zinc)

Dave

In the first PDF, I see an instruction "do not put the electric wire in the solution". Then I see pictures of an alligator clip on the part in the solution. Can you do this or not?
Grasshopper

The best vinegars is used in photography darkroom. Next best is cleaning vinegars is stronger than cooking/table vinegars.

There are stronger chemicals for Plating but I would not use in the home.
The Plating companies use for speed and labor saving.

Nickel Plating will work instead of chrome Plating.
Most chrome Plating has a layer of nickel plate.

Hard chrome is 100% and is very thick and costly. Hard chrome Plating will spend days plating tank.
But most do not know they also use nickel instead of hard chrome keeping the cost down.

Dave

I thimk our holy governments should ban the drinking of water--after all it has deadly minerals in it, fish doo-doo in it, and too much can be damaging to ones health. They should also require all farmers to dress their naked cows and pigs and horses. Glug--(75% alcohol)--here's to sensibility. Here's to our holy governments telling us what to do so we can thimk about other things, especially steam engines. Yay! (waves flag)

In USA, muriatic is a mixture of two acids: hydrochloric and another--not too strong.
Nope, just another name for hydrochloric acid, no mixture. As a Hazmat Technician, I dealt with many a spill of this very common mineral acid. Sometimes in the 10,000 to 20,000 gallon range. It has a higher vapor pressure than some other acids, so it poses a higher respiratory exposure risk.

John W

Mineral acids is a group of acids (sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid and nitric acid)
I would not have any one use sulfuric acid and nitric acid both will give very bad burns.
Hydrochloric acid can also give bad burns no should use the high strength like Plating shops do. But most have used the muriatic for there pool or spa.
It take longer to but is safer than Hydrochloric acid
All Plating needs to in well vented.

[Commonly used mineral acids are sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid and nitric acid (they are also known as bench acids). Mineral acids range from superacids (perchloric acid) to very weak (boric acid). Mineral acids tend to be very soluble in water and insoluble in organic solvents]

Nope, just another name for hydrochloric acid, no mixture. As a Hazmat Technician, I dealt with many a spill of this very common mineral acid. Sometimes in the 10,000 to 20,000 gallon range. It has a higher vapor pressure than some other acids, so it poses a higher respiratory exposure risk.

John W

The other names for Muriatic acid

Hydrochloric acid.
Chlorane
Spirits of salt
Hydronium chlo8ride
Chlorhydric

Do all Plating in well vent location and no pets or children.
Some chemical in plating can give very bad burns and or be deadly.

Last edited:
A chemist from work used to tell tales of adding Cyanide "eggs" to the electroplating tanks. I think that was the same Potassium Cyanide as used in the U.S.A. in gas chambers.... I believe they were a hazard to health!
Be careful, stay safe.
And enjoy!

I would not do Plating that uses nitric acids .
Nitric acid can make cyanide.
I found anyway to do chrome plating that does use nitric or cyanide.
Bottom line say with vinegar lower risks it is used in
salads.
Dave
D
A chemist from work used to tell tales of adding Cyanide "eggs" to the electroplating tanks. I think that was the same Potassium Cyanide as used in the U.S.A. in gas chambers.... I believe they were a hazard to health!
Be careful, stay safe.
And enjoy!

I have some "central heating cleaning solution", that I use ti pickle copper boilers before silver soldering. I guess it is a mild solution of Phosphoric acid? What gas would that produce with pickling or electroplating? Phosgene? I'm not going to risk taking a sniff! - so would be pleased to hear of the hazards before using any of these chemicals.
Thanks!

I use a gold plating solution that contains a cyanide salt. Using appropriate PPE and proper safety precautions it hasn't caused me any issues. We play with a lot of potentially harmful substances (especially molten metals) and cyanide is just another thing to be careful of.

Edit to add: I used to work in hot-dip galvanising and our pickle tanks were very strong hydrochloric acid. All we required for PPE was a hard hat and long, thick rubber gloves. Minor splashes weren't much of a concern unless they were to the eyes or into the ears and were just treated with a quick rinse of water. PPE for the hot side was obviously a lot different.

Also, does pickling or electroplating in a Muriatic acid solution emit Chlorine gas or compounds? Another chemical used in chemical warfare I want to avoid!
Not being a chemist, I am a bit frightened of these reactions as an amateur, because I have worked with the Chemical lab at Work, and have seen how they live with rubber gloves, goggles, aprons, etc. And do lots of jobs in the fume cupboard. I also saw the same get-up on the electroplating line at work.
Give me a foundry any day! That is a non-contact sport as well, but gases are not quite as toxic, I think?

Back