Electrolysis, and cast iron.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGTREV

Reaction score
Electrolysis, and cast iron.
I been trawling the net for weeks, and totally confused as to whether electrolysis will harm/damage cast iron.
Has anyone tried it? if so what's your thoughts on it?
Thanks

I don't think you can successfully electroplate cast iron
I believe the carbon prevents sticking .Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clarify

What do you mean by electrolysis ? cast iron piston rings can be supplied chrome plated !

Sorry, I should of added, it's to remove rust from parts of a mill I've bought
Thanks
home

I've used electrolysis to clean rusted cast iron parts a few times which clean up a treat, and with no ill effects, care is needed though not to carry on the process too long or at too high a power setting because (anecdotally) it can cause embrittlement and microscopic cracks if things are overcooked,
I use ordinary washing soda crystals and a dedicated power unit, which has variable amp/volt adjustments, but people get away with using battery chargers and a car battery in the line ok,
Stainless steel is generally not recommended for electrodes if the electrolyte is going to be tipped down a drain, but this warning is probably more applicable to high volume operations where there's a fair risk of serious pollution,

Have a browse of this link, there are a ton of other links in there that'll keep you busy for a while,

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/electrolytic-cleaning.12686/

John.

Hi

Removing rust is very easy and cheap. In fact it is effortless. Simply soak the part in vinegar over night and then rinse with water in the morning. The part needs to be cleaned of dirt and oils before you start. Save the vinegar for the next rusty part.

Mark T

I'll need a lot of vinegar, to do the mill table ;)

Hi

Removing rust is very easy and cheap. In fact it is effortless. Simply soak the part in vinegar over night and then rinse with water in the morning. The part needs to be cleaned of dirt and oils before you start. Save the vinegar for the next rusty part.

Mark T

Reactions: RJW
Why not use diluted phosphoric acid I use a 5% solution for rust on cast iron

I've plated cast iron with nickel. Can be done.

I had read that phosphoric acid will eat cast iron, but was going to try it on the inside the main body of the mill
Thanks

Why not use diluted phosphoric acid I use a 5% solution for rust on cast iron

Back on topic re Rust Removal from Cast Iron. I have successfully used electrolysis to remove rust from Cast Iron. According to the theory text books Hydrogen Embrittlement may occur with any ferrous metal that is subjected to an electrolysis type process, and some other processes. Whether that Hydrogen Embrittlement will be a problem depends entirely on what the part is and how highly stressed that part is.

My background is in the Aviation Industry. In that industry, because many of the ferrous parts used in aircraft are built as lightly as possible, and as a result are highly loaded in use, Hydrogen Embrittlement is a big concern.

But for the types of parts that we as home shop machinists are likely to be encountering, Hydrogen Embrittlement is unlikely to be a problem. That said, a highly stressed steel part in a model engine (i.e. a crankshaft) may suffer the effects of hydrogen embrittlement if it underwent some form of electrolysis - but then how likely are we to do that to a crankshaft ?

As far as the various methods of rust removal go - there are lots of techniques out there, and some have been mentioned in this thread.

Recently Lyle a.k.a. MrPete222 on his Youtube Channel has done a series of videos that he's called "The Olympics of Rust Removal". There are three videos in the sequence, and this is the first video in the sequence.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCuQquR-rzo[/ame]

n these videos, Lyle tests ten of the most common home workshop techniques for rust removal.

You may not agree with all of Lyle's test methodology, and you may not agree with all of his observations and findings - but I think that by watching his Olympics of Rust Removal videos, you'll get enough information to be able to make your own assessment regarding the benefits and otherwise of each of the Rust Removal processes. I think that the videos also highlight some of the pitfalls of a few of the less controlled methods of rust removal.

Hope that info helps....

Regards,

Blanik

Thanks for that, I'm a big fan of tubalcain he talks my lanuage

Back on topic re Rust Removal from Cast Iron. I have successfully used electrolysis to remove rust from Cast Iron. According to the theory text books Hydrogen Embrittlement may occur with any ferrous metal that is subjected to an electrolysis type process, and some other processes. Whether that Hydrogen Embrittlement will be a problem depends entirely on what the part is and how highly stressed that part is.

My background is in the Aviation Industry. In that industry, because many of the ferrous parts used in aircraft are built as lightly as possible, and as a result are highly loaded in use, Hydrogen Embrittlement is a big concern.

But for the types of parts that we as home shop machinists are likely to be encountering, Hydrogen Embrittlement is unlikely to be a problem. That said, a highly stressed steel part in a model engine (i.e. a crankshaft) may suffer the effects of hydrogen embrittlement if it underwent some form of electrolysis - but then how likely are we to do that to a crankshaft ?

As far as the various methods of rust removal go - there are lots of techniques out there, and some have been mentioned in this thread.

Recently Lyle a.k.a. MrPete222 on his Youtube Channel has done a series of videos that he's called "The Olympics of Rust Removal". There are three videos in the sequence, and this is the first video in the sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCuQquR-rzo

n these videos, Lyle tests ten of the most common home workshop techniques for rust removal.

You may not agree with all of Lyle's test methodology, and you may not agree with all of his observations and findings - but I think that by watching his Olympics of Rust Removal videos, you'll get enough information to be able to make your own assessment regarding the benefits and otherwise of each of the Rust Removal processes. I think that the videos also highlight some of the pitfalls of a few of the less controlled methods of rust removal.

Hope that info helps....

Regards,

Blanik

Hi. I'm back again, been busy removing paint with caustic soda and wallpaper paste, and rust from the mill, using electrolysis, how should l clean the rust from the feed screws, phosphoric acid, or electrolysis?
I'm also build a tank from old doors lined with plastic sheet, so l can put the main body of the mill in, and use electrolysis to pull rust from the knee dovetail on the front of the mill
Thanks

I'm also build a tank from old doors lined with plastic sheet, so l can put the main body of the mill in, and use electrolysis to pull rust from the knee dovetail on the front of the mill
Thanks

Use your large plastic/polythene garbage wheelie bin to do it in, if you have them where you come from. Resistant to almost anything.

John

Anyone comment on my post.Can cast iron be electro plated ??

Hi Barry,
I've used copper sulphate solution to copper plate cast Iron and steel parts prior to electroplating with nickel. I know that they can be chrome plated as well but I've not tried chrome.

Back