Electricity and Common Urban Myths

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The capacitance is increased by increasing the surface area of the plates. To do this without increasing the "physical" size, the surface of the plates are etched creating little valleys and mountains. Much like the cortex of the brain at a smaller scale.

We are surrounded with high voltage air dielectric capacitors. Some times they short out (lightning) and sometimes the charge just disappears. Interesting discussion!

steamer said:
I've stuck with the shiny bits and it works just fine for me! :big:

Less Aspirin that way cause I keep getting to something outside our universe that is pulling our expansion rather than an internal effect pushing it outward.

OHH Shinny thing! Mine!

I have been out of town for a few days.
I will have to think about the answer of where the field is stored.

I think the speed of light is tied to the permeability of free space.

Pat J

UNIcastings said:
I have been out of town for a few days.
I will have to think about the answer of where the field is stored.

I think the speed of light is tied to the permeability of free space.

Pat J

As free space is expanding, as theory goes, the speed of light must also change to maintain our concept of equilibrium.

Ya shinny things much easier to deal with for this old confused brain :)

Robert

I have been busy myself, I lost one of my toys this weekend. The photos is a 2650KVA 690Volt Generator as you can see the winding is pretty messed up. The customer asked me to find the cause and if you look at the two last photos edited in red you can see it. This Generator operates at 1800RPM the coil former hubs virbrated loose and broke the U coil supporters, these are like metal straps. When they broke off they flew into the winding and started the ball rolling tearing into the resinglass banding and distroying it. The other problem was bearing hub ware where the bearings were eating into the hub housing.As you know the customer is not very happy, as this generator is 5 years old and they have 24 of these. This same problem will exist in the others because they are built the same. The Rotating fields had signs on the oppose side, where the banding straps are breaking also.Well it looks like I open Pandora's box for them and this is making them very unhappy right now. There are four of these per vessel operating in parallel together.

Don

DSC02515.JPG

DSC02518.JPG

DSC02528.JPG

DSC02530.JPG

I go around and around with clients about preventative maintenance, and replacing equipment BEFORE it self-destructs.

A typical converstation goes like this (this is a recent example):

Me: Your unit substation is in very bad shape. You need to replace it now.
Owner: We can't replace it, we don't have the money.
Me: You need to replace it now. You don't have the money not to replace it. Think about how much a prolonged shutdown for this unit will cost you.
Owner: We typically operate electrical equipment to failure.
Me: Is that a smart way to operate electrical equipment?

And on and on, ad nauseum.
Luckily, many/most operators of large privately owned plants stay on top of maintenance. The only plants that consistently use deferred maintenance are the politically operated facilities, and then it is a matter of politicians spending the money that should be used for preventative maintenance to buy votes.

Pat J

Back