Electrical Pencil Arcograph

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 20 ga. is 20 gauge brass (0.032 inches / 0.80mm thick). The nail is 0.165 inch / 4.2mm diameter and 3.5 inches / 89mm long.

I have trouble with all the 'old school' designations as well, why isn't the whole world metric :p.

The pencil looks cool, might have to have a go at one myself one day.

Hi Cogsy,
thanks for the quick reply. Now it starts to get winter = workshop time! Lets start!

Regards Klaus

This marking pen really works but there seems to be a knack to be able write smoothly.
I have made one that is very similar. I used a thin tungsten rod as used with some welders for the stylus.

John

Had a couple of shop bought ones over the years, and they all had tungsten nibs. They just ran off a small transformer, occasionally the nib would weld itself onto the piece being marked, then it started to glow red hot.

Paul.

Two days ago, I was doing some repairs on electric Hornby locos (yes tinplate toys I confess) , the sparks produced by the transfomer (20V AC, 20W) easily labeled the surface of most of the pieces of metal I touched.
I did a quick test, and in fact, it was not at all easy to obtain a continuous and regular line, not to mention really write.

Hello everybody,

I try to built this.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/general-workshop/etching-pen-plans.pdf

What means 20 ga. for the spring bronce i think it´s the thickness ? Also how is the diameter of the 16 D Nail?

Klaus

Hi guys,
I note that there are no dimensions given for the length of the coil !

I have an original etch pen from 60 years ago that runs from a transformer that supplies about 6 volts. The coil in mine is about a half inch in diameter and around 3.5 inches long. The tip looks like an old fashioned gramophone needle. It works surprisingly well, even today despite its age.

If wanted I can take a photograph or two.

Hi guys,
This a picture of an electric arc pen that I made as a shop project in grade 10 50 years ago. The principle is the same as the one being talked about. Requires a steady hand to use. The coil is about 8 cm long and wound rather loosely around a nail of similar length. The steel guide that the tip of the copper wire passes through is insulated from the electrical conduit body. It works well on 6 volts AC or DC. Also in that class we made our own step down transformer. Unfortunately I don't still have it.

ELECTRIC PENCIL - Copy.jpg

No Problem !
Watch this space...

As promised.

The top of the black Bakelite handle is just over 5/8" diameter and the stylus is 1/2" long. Its held in place by the 10BA cheesehead screw.

I got the transformer voltage wrong its 5 volts. It was the 6 volt battery bit I remembered. However it does seem to work better from the transformer which produces AC. The output is not rectified.

The coil inside is not wound on a former and is a quite heavy gauge wire. I would guess 20swg and seems to be in several layers. The top part screws into the Bakelite handle and the coil is attached by a small screw into the flat surface inside.

Baron.

Box-top.jpg

In-box.jpg

Stylus_side-1.jpg

Stylus_side-2.jpg

Transformer.jpg

Thanks Shopguy and Baron, as these seen fairly straight forward to make I wonder if many of them are in use today.

John

Thanks Shopguy and Baron, as these seen fairly straight forward to make I wonder if many of them are in use today.

John

I wouldn't think so ! Mine is only in such good condition because its spent the vast majority of its life in a box in a storeroom.

A Dremal with a diamond burr does the same job and its more likely to be on hand when needed.

Latest posts

Back